Ballet Talk for Dancers
beckyl

How far do you travel to class?

beckyl

I'm curious as to how far people travel to attend ballet class or how far you would be willing to travel.

I live in a very rural location (and as a double whammy have to rely on public transport, getting a car is not something I can afford right now.) I'm very fortunate in my ballet class that it's about a 20 minute bus ride and all the timings fit.

I'd dearly love to add a second (maybe a third!) ballet class to my schedule. However, the timings at my current studio don't fit in with bus times :(

There are ballet classes in Oxford (nearest city) I could get to at various locations- but all would involve four hours out of the house (depending on time of day, up to 90 minutes-2 hours travelling) and one would involve me arriving home at 10.35 p.m. at night (I'm a teacher so I really wouldn't be able to give my class the best the next day!)

Garyecht

For me it's a 30 minute drive to class, which I consider close by. When I did ballroom it was a 45 minute drive to class, which also didn't bother me. In ballroom days on Monday I'd leave home at about 6 p.m. and not return until about 11 p.m. On Wednesdays, which was a practice day, it was the same. It was all I knew at the time, so I assumed that's just how it was. I know other ballroom people who did pretty much the same.

gimpydancer

The ballet studio where I attend classes is about a 25 minute drive. What's convenient is that where I work is about midway between home and ballet so two days a week I go straight from work. Where I lived before I was about 40-45 minutes away and that used a lot of gas!

gav

Where I'm dancing right now, I give myself 30 minutes. That includes a bit of warm-up time at the studio if the trip goes smoothly. In the past, I've had to give myself 45-60 minutes before class -- the trip took as little as 25 minutes, but I never knew if my transit connections would be quick or slow... or glacially slow... depending on traffic and weather and nearby events and such. Because the actual travel time has been less than what I've given myself before class, the journey home has almost always been faster.

Megaton

My class is at the local college. It's just shy of a 2 mile walk from my apartment on dirt paths and through the trees. I either get a ride with a friend or I will walk. I usually at least walk home, unless the weather is bad.

kr12

I have a <10mn walk!

Claude_Catastrophique

I have to take classes in several schools to get to a decent number of lessons a week. For one, it takes me 10 min busride plus a 10 min walk. For another one it takes me 10 min car driving, for the next 15-20 min car or 30 min bus driving and at least (but the one I can take for free and I consider the best, that's why I take it) 1 hour travel by bus, train and a walk.

To get to the place where I teach it takes me 5-10 min in car or 10 min in bus.

Redbookish

Megaton, that sounds like a lovely walk (unless it's raining). I now live only a few minutes' walk from the studio. I used to live in a much bigger city & it was a short train or bus journey. But Britain is a much more walkable country, with very good public transport, compared with the US or Australia.

Kini

It takes me 30 minutes to reach my studio by car, 45 to 60 if the weather is bad.

Megaton

Redbookish, it is lovely! Especially when you get to see wildlife. There is a black tailed jackrabbit living near the path whom I have encountered several times. I have lived in places where the walks weren't so pleasant, so I count myself lucky. Walking in smaller towns in the US, I have found people think it is strange. They all want to know if I am okay or why I don't call a friend for a ride.

LaFilleSylphide

I hop on an airplane to Bangkok maybe once or twice a year and take a couple of classes.

Redbookish

La Fille!!!!! :clapping::grinning:

Lucycat

I fly to London every two or three month for classes or workshops. But to my regular classes it's only about thirty minutes from home or ten from work.

tangerinetwist

Though I am a teacher, I take class twice a week. My teacher's studio is about a 45 minute drive from my home.

LaFilleSylphide

Haha, sometimes I join DaPixie on her dance-adventures in South East Asia.