Ballet Talk for Dancers
  • Announcements

• Helene

2018 Joint Fundraiser for Ballet Talk for Dancers and Ballet Alert!   02/03/2018

We have launched our 2018 Fundraiser.  To donate, please see the instructions on our home page for checks (US dollars only) and credit card donations via PayPal.  We close the fundraiser as soon as we raise enough to sustain us for the next year, and we thank you for your support!
Boydancermom

SI Audition Roll Call

Thyme

DS18 did one audition this year.

San Francisco Conservatory of Dance- session 3 (Gaga).

Thankfully he got in :blush:

No scholarship- they don't give them (all dancers equally worthy etc etc)

mln

Congratulations to your ds, Thyme!

mamakats

Would Next Generation Ballet in Tampa be worthwhile for boys?

mln

Mamakats, yes! Very solid program for young men. Check out the forums for this program where others are discussing the training for boys! Look for Patel Conservatory recent posts (New Content).

Tayperry88

DS11 will be headed back to Walnut Hill- with Merit Scholarship this time around!

5uptown

So far my son has auditioned for four (very competitive) programs and has heard response from one-- acceptance with no scholarship (we do actually have financial need of scholarships but this program doesn't offer need-based aid). So, for now we are continuing to wait, hoping for some different results to come. There are some perfectly good and less competitive local programs he could go to, those auditions all come later. He is only 12 so as much as he is currently disappointed I don't feel like this is the time to borrow/make hard trade offs to pay for the more prestigious programs when we have other training available to him.

Thyme

Hi 5uptown- I agree with you. Follow the quality training (and hopefully some scholarships!!) for him at this age, not the prestige. At 12 he will need lots of encouragement, other boys, some fun and good solid training.

nynydancer

My DS 13 got a bizarre injury that is preventing us from trying 3 schools this weekend. He has an acceptance for HB (level 5), no scholarship. He's only been at it for 1.5 years so I'm pleased he got in. We have one other longshot result pending, and may do another audition in a week. I'm trying to send both of my DK's to the same place, and both got into HB. HB is most likely where we are headed!

nynydancer

Let me add, I mentioned to a friend (dad with 2 dd's) that DS got into Houston. First response was "did he get a scholarship". I said no, and well meaning friend said "oh thats too bad, maybe next time". Ugh!!!!!!!

Man, what a way to put a damper on things.

FabFoursMom

nynydancer,

I have found that many parents of girls feel that boy dancers always get scholarships. You should not let the fact that he did not get a scholarship lessen the fact that he got in! :) Congratulations!!!

FabFoursMom

We have auditioned at 4 bigger named schools thus far. He has waitlisted for one and the others he just auditioned for in the past 24 hours. So we will see.

nynydancer

Thanks FabFoursMom-- good luck to your guy! Hopefully you get happy news soon!

dance-and-skate

nynydancer, congratulations to your DS for getting into Houston!

Like your DS, my DS injured badly after only two auditions, and it happened the day before the Houston audition :-( Since we, the parents felt that Houston would be the most desirable place to audition and hopefully go this summer for various reasons, we were a little upset (because the injury was due to a physical activity his ballet teachers warned him about !)

He was accepted to Boston (without scholarship), and waiting to hear from SAB which he went with scholarship last year.

As for girls' parents' assumptions about boys getting scholarship, though it's none of their business and you should be glad and proud of your DS for getting in at all, I do feel sympathy for them. It is so much more competitive for girl dancers, even last year, when my DS got scholarship to SAB, there were girl dancers who were more skilled than he was did not get in. Boys don't always receive scholarship but it's true that it's much more rare for girls to receive it.

Edited by GTLS Designs
Fixed Paragraph Structure

dallaway3

My DS (16) will be going to Nutmeg this summer.

Mcbbamundaaga

My son got into ABT and Ballet Austin . Both with scholarships. One full and the other partial . Today my son made a comment that he felt like he didn't deserve it . I asked why and he said because the girls feel like he gets things just because he is a boy . He was very depressed and said that it makes it hard for him to trust other girl dancers . There is a sense of competition with them and their moms . Hate this for him.