Ballet Talk for Dancers
  • Announcements

• Helene

2018 Joint Fundraiser for Ballet Talk for Dancers and Ballet Alert!   02/03/2018

We have launched our 2018 Fundraiser.  To donate, please see the instructions on our home page for checks (US dollars only) and credit card donations via PayPal.  We close the fundraiser as soon as we raise enough to sustain us for the next year, and we thank you for your support!
Boydancermom

SI Audition Roll Call

Clara 76

Cats will be cats but he doesn't have to let them affect his perception of himself. Distance is the weapon of self-defense here, unfortunately.

finallykf

I have found that as the boys get older, bigger, and become stronger dancers, any comments from girls and other parents about the boys getting scholarships so easily tends to end. I think there are two reasons for this 1). the girls and their parents tend to experience first hand some of the stereotypes and challenges the guys face simply because they are ballet dancers so they realize the guys often need an incentive to stay in ballet and, more imprtantly, 2). they realize that if they want even a decent partnering experience at their chosen SI there need to be a lot of guys who can partner. They understand that the SIs are all competing for guys.

In our experience once the kids get into year round programs those comments just don't happen unless someone is making a generalized statement about how lucky the guys are that they have a less expensive summer; it isn't a snarky comment.

Your son should be proud of his accomplishments. I know that he has seen improvement in his acceptances and scholarship offers this year so, that alone should tell him that he isn't getting those offers ONLY because he is a boy. The offers are coming because he is improving. Hang in there! It gets better. ?

Mcbbamundaaga

Thank you !!!

Thyme

I too have had those conversations (we all have!) about how much easier it is for boys. Scholarships, everything. Oh and by the way, have you read the pinned post on how boys have different challenges? Definitely read it.

My view is this: ballet is not a team sport. It is an individual pursuit. If my son, or your son gets offered a leg up on one of the many rungs on the ladder well so be it. They don't ALL get them, ALL of the time so enjoy it when you get to touch the brass ring.

The challenges faced by our young men are social often. Those who remain in the game after about age 14 REALLY want to be there. The talent is breathtaking. I think it is extremely intense after that age because everyone who wasn't sure probably dropped out. My DS is doing great but as soon as I see him in a room of other 18yoDS, I get nervous and wonder if he has what it takes. They are all so good! If someone wants to give him a scholarship then I am extremely grateful, we take it without a backward glance. Next time your DS might get it instead. The girls have their own challenges (glad we don't pay for pointe shoes!).

We are all on our own paths here. The least everyone can do is be supportive and focus on their own journey. In the meantime, ignore the naysayers.

joelle.held

My DS13 has been in ballet for 3 years, auditioned for Boston and SAB (no offers) but keeps at it. Should hear from ABT soon and will keep going with it either way. We are so new to this as neither my husband or I danced. We have two back pocket summer options but are really hoping for ABT or Joffrey because he really wants the NY experience. Just curious if anyone is willing to share what "type" of male dancer ABT looks for?

Oreo

After reading these posts, I am doubting our decision about this summer. Our son was accepted to 3 different schools...but none with a scholarship. We picked the one with the best boys program, and sent in his deposit. I am working myself into the ground trying to come up with the money. Last year, he got full tuition and partial housing to a less selective program which he attended and enjoyed, but I wanted him to spread his wings a bit. So after his acceptance this year to his first choice school...he stopped auditioning. We are ultimately sending him a 4 hour plane ride away with either myself or my husband taking him out there to make sure he arrives safely. It is absolutely in the back of my mind that maybe he should have continued on the audition road because while the school he will attend gets excellent reviews regarding their boys... they obviously weren't interested in him enough to offer even a partial scholarship. He was the only boy in his audition which makes it even worse. He auditioned for the same program last year and was also accepted, but we thought 12 was too young to be so far away from home. The adjudicator came out and was very complimentary of him, but no scholarship. I don't know. I think next year, we need to do things differently. My son is good, and works very hard, but is not a prodigy. You can go crazy second guessing I suppose.

Immashel

Just my opinion but I think at age 13 you should definitely go where he has a scholarship ( as long as it is a good program). He has many years before he is looking to go professional and you should definitely save your money for later down the road when it is more critical.

mln

Hi, Oreo,

If the training is excellent at your ds's first choice school, then perhaps there are other ways to save for the summer. Southwest will let 13 year olds fly unaccompanied, for instance. And you will save audition costs by stopping now. Can your son contribute by helping neighbors with yard work or pet care? I have seen less predictability this season in offers for both girls and boys. There are some programs where the average offer to boys is little more than audition costs and a plane flight anyway. Do contact the program about financial aid. It's probably not critical for your son to go to the most prestigious program at 13, but 13 is also too young to worry about the 'meaning' of no scholarship.

nynydancer

DS13 is headed to Ellison on full scholarship! We are blown away! Congrats to all of you on your acceptances. It's been fun to read. I am just shocked that my DS got a scholarship too. He is shocked and happy (so am I!).

myballetboy

nynydancer congratulations! EBSI & PDD are amazing especially for boys!

dance-and-skate

nynydancer, congratulations!! Ellison with scholarship, that's awesome!

I wanted Ellison SI for my DS, as it does sound like an amazing program for boys, but

I thought he could try when he is older, because the housing situation doesn't seem organized

enough for a young teen.

Are you going to stay in a nearby hotel with your 13 yr old DS?

nynydancer

Thank you!!!! As his little sister is going too, I probably will go and be her roomate :). I will let him stay in the housing though and fend for himself as much as possible. But if he was going alone, I think I would have set him up and left after a week or so. The good news is no kids have starved or gotten lost yet at Ellison :) :) :)

5uptown

My son (12) also offered full scholarship to Ellison. (And will be going). I wonder if there is going to be a younger boys level this year? I was positive my son was too young to be accepted. He will be a commuter so no worries about the housing.

dance-and-skate

Your dk's are going to really grow up, as dancers for sure, but as real world people, too!

I guess these days, you have a lot more yummy and healthy prepared food options to stock up in the frigde.

Food prep is my main concern for my ds trying a program like Ellison (without a full on dorm).

Good luck!

dancingninja

Anyone else still auditioning? DS (12) has finished 3 out of the 4 auditions so far. Proud to say that he was accepted to Boston and Orlando (no scholarship) and Sarasota (w/scholarship). He has the ABT audition this weekend. Love the Boston and Orlando programs but we simply can't afford either of them. Excited about Sarasota because the tuition scholarship brings it within reach.

Not sure how ABT will go. Has anyone else gotten into ABT programs this summer and, if so, were any scholarships made available?