Ballet Talk for Dancers
Boydancermom

SI Scholarships for Boys

Boydancermom

As we begin the SI audition season (and to keep the SI roll call thread cleaner), I thought it might be useful to find out what SIs have been known to give scholarships to boys. (I'm not sure that we can fund full tuition).

I know that this can change from year to year, but I may take an SI off our list if there is a snowball's chance of a half or full one.

So...which SIs have given scholarships in recent years? (full or partial?, ages?, level?)

dancemaven

Please keep this as a general information request. We do not permit or encourage comparisons or disclosure of personal information. :thumbsup:

Moxie

Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre and Nutmeg are known to be generous.

mceejay

Boston Ballet School gives scholarships, so do Bolshoi, ABT, Houston, French Academie, Next Generation, and Miami

mceejay

Oh and also School of PA Ballet

slhogan

Ballet Austin is well known for being generous with awarding boys full tuition + housing. Ballet West will award full tuition but not housing. Boston has been known to award full tuition + housing.

mln

Orlando, too.

Fraildove

As for boys and scholarships, it honestly might be easier to start a thread in schools who tend NOT to be generous with scholarship. I mean that as a joke and serious at the same time. I wear three hats; mom of a young son who is just starting serious training, ballet teacher, and former professional myself. All programs want boys. It also might be beneficial to specify your experience as to age of boy who is receiving a scholarship. I myself would like to know schools who take financial risk on younger boys, as opposed to those who are seeking out semi-trained, pas de deux eligible young men (age 14+). I just think there are so many things at play, that likely every major ballet school in this country, and internationally in some cases, will be scholarshiping boys to some degree. Is there anyway we can be a little more systematic in the answers? Moderators? I mean aside from the well known boys/men's programs at Next Generation, Houston, and Ellison that have developed a super strong men's program with funding to help! Just trying to figure out ways to digest the info given :) I have a few more years before my own will go away, so the more research now for me the better, especially since I'm our female dancers go-to on summer intensive advice. Boys, not so much :)

Boydancermom

Fraildove

I completely agree...that's why I asked for age/experience in my question. I have heard here that scholarships tend to increase as boys get older. i heard about a 15 year old boy who auditioned in the last week and was passed a slip of paper right after the audition saying that he got in with a full scholarship....either he was amazing or the program was desperate for paus de deux ready boy....probably a bit of both. (I won't reveal the place since it was a private message)

Case in point, there were about 200 dancers at the NYC ABT audition on Saturday and there were only around 4 or 5 boys in the 13 and under age group and around 4 in the over 13 age group.

mceejay

Hello, to help in determining scholarship offers by age group, the schools that I mentioned gave scholarships to boys who are 13/14 and under. Most were quite generous.

vrsfanatic

I am surprised HARID is not on this list. Please read our advertisement in Dance Magazine. While our funding situation may fluctuate from year to year, our young men have been offered funding annually for summer and year round study. Our new men's teacher, Meelis Paki is rounding out our already well established program of classical training.

CeliB

Kirov have funded younger boys (eg below PDD age) based on potential (eg little formal training)

San Fransisco has been known to offer scholarship including bed and board to older boys (not sure about younger)

slhogan

vrsfanatic, you're absolutely right. I knew I was forgetting one. My son received a very generous tuiton + housing scholarship from Harid when he was 14. Although he ultimately ended up not going there, I researched Harid quite a bit and was very impressed with everything I learned.

In keeping with Fraildove's post, the places that did not offer a generous scholarship (when other places did) were Ballet Chicago, Washington Ballet, and ABT. Perhaps my son just wasn't what they were looking for that year.

Fraildove

VRS, sorry for not mentioning Harid! I still think of Harid as generous to anyone with serious talent, male or femal, and very generous in all aspects considering that all year-round students are on financial scholarship :) For parents not familiar, I cannot recommend Harid enough for both boys and girls. Speaking as a teacher, all our students who have attended have come back much improved, and the young man we have had that recently went was met with a wonderful financial packet. He was 15, but very wet behind the ears. It is a school that as a mother has been on my radar since I was myself a student. I believe it is still for dancers finishing 8-11 grades, so 9-12 year round.

Kirov is another school that tended to be generous, and to very young boys as well. Glad to see that still confirmed in the above!

mln

Although I am enjoying this thread, I think we're going to discover that it's hard to generalize about program generosity to boys. Some programs do develop a reputation for generosity, true! But there are a lot of very generous programs with just a few boys that we will probably never mention, simply because our sample of experiences doesn't cover them.

Program generosity also varies so much from boy to boy and from year to year! Just based on the comments so far, I can already see that my late-blooming ds has had a very different experience than others, even at the same programs. Although he has received a tuition scholarship every year, he has also been denied scholarships from programs that others have found consistently generous. And he has received a scholarship to one of the programs others have found less generous.

I'm wondering how to make this thread informative and truly useful. I know it really helps to be able to target generous schools, and I find myself looking for this very information every year. For parents with boys still maturing technically, targeting generous programs can be important. But if scholarship awards for boys are as idiosyncratic as they seem to be based on our discussion so far, perhaps the best advice is that every boy should audition broadly (with several schools known to be generous on the list), but not take any scholarship for granted.

As others have mentioned, age, size, technical maturity, and style can influence scholarship decisions. And there are probably a dozen other factors as well. If we were to try to match up factors and scholarship offers, we'd end up with an even more idiosyncratic picture of scholarship generosity. I'll give an example of how one of my son's experiences might be misleading. A very small, selective, and reputedly generous program told my son a few years ago that they reserve their scholarships for their older boys. I didn't really believe them, and we have moved on to better successes, but would naming this program discourage a young boy who might actually get one of their scholarships? That's my fear.

Anyway, does anyone have thoughts on what information might really be helpful?

And by the way, I am very glad to see this topic discussed openly.