Ballet Talk for Dancers
Boydancermom

SI Scholarships for Boys

Momof3darlings

Some very good wisdom from vrsfanatic and also GTLS. In addition to the things GTLS brought up, so that others wondering about room and board added to scholarships, this will greatly depend on how the SI pays for it's housing and board. If they have their own housing, that presents the ability to do one thing. But if they sub out their housing at a local university, etc. then you will less likely see any breaks on housing because the SI does in fact have to pay for that housing.

Like both have stated, enjoy the scholarship while you can get them. This changes summer to summer even with the gentlemen. How badly each SI might "need" the young men, also greatly depends on how many young men are attracted to that SI on their own anyway.

momtoemandel

Thanks min. Good to know that there is still some chance for acceptance.

finallykf

There are all kinds of ways that scholarships can reveal themselves.

Remember that we are also in the middle of YAGP season and very often summer intensive scholarships for both boys and girls are offered as a result of performance and/or master class participation allowing a dancer to completely by-pass the audition process altogether; the performance and/or master class has served as the "audition." It is also not entirely unheard of for dancers to receive scholarship offers at master classes they take during the year - we know of three such dancers (good friends of ours - not heresay) who have attended summer intensives on full scholarships (including housing) after being pulled aside after the master class by the instructor.

Other than that I agree with what others have said. We have experienced several methods of "delivery." Being pulled aside right after the audition and offered full tuition and housing, receiving a personal email telling us he is being given a full tuition scholarship with housing and will receive an "official" acceptance shortly, and receiving the normal acceptance letter that contained the lovely surprise that he had received the tuition scholarship.

From my experience so far there is no "standard" way any school does it and I think it could end up requiring everyone to need sedatives to get through the SI audition season if we worried about it! I tell my son to go in and dance his best and to expect NOTHING to happen afterwards - even if it is a school that whisked him into another room immediately after his audition last year to offer him the world. It's just not worth it to me to try to figure out why or why not he didn't get pulled aside, or he hasn't heard anything 5 days later, etc. And we most definately need the scholarship money!! But I don't need an ulcer and an additional 15 pounds from stress eating my way through SI audition season!!

I also think it is impossible to figure out WHY certain kids get impressive, all encompassing scholarships to some intensives and others don't. I'm sure we have all had the scratch your head experience of watching a kid at a SI who you know got a great scholarship only to see with your own eyes (and hear from your son) that he just isn't that impressive. But obviously there was a reason the school felt compelled to give that child the scholarship. Maybe the child just started to dance and has shown a high level of promise for the short amount of time he has been dancing and they want to encourage him and see how he does in an intense environment - but compared to other, more seasoned dancers, he doesn't look quite as polished yet. Maybe it's totally political. Maybe they have a specific need for a 5'3" stocky, male dancer with short limbs who can't jump and isn't able to partner in their company and they have found HIM at your son's audition!!!

Level of talent is a difficult thing to gauge in boys. Boys' bodies change so more much than girls' bodies (in terms of height and strength) through the years they are able to audition for summer intensives. You might have a 12 year old boy who is the most amazing ballet dancer any school has ever seen, but if he never grows any taller than 5'4 and never gets strong enough to lift a girl - the opinion of "talent" is probably going to change in the minds of the people who are deciding on who gets the scholarships. Or you could have a 12 or 13 year old boy who has phenomenal technique and is a beautiful dancer but if he is never able to grasp any of the "male" qualities needed for a professional career - the ability to jump and turn and do the specifically male steps and to partner well, he probably isn't going to be considered a phenomenal dancer as he gets older. So these kids who got scholarships at 12 and 13 might suddenly not get those scholarships anymore. It can be really difficult on those kids - they have been really strong dancers from a very early age and suddenly they start to struggle while those who might not have been so strong or talented early on start to "pass them by" because their "new body" is helping them get better. I have seen this happen a few times and it's one of the reasons I tell my son to just go into an audition and dance his best and not worry about how anyone else in the audition dances. At the end of the day at 13 we can hope our son continues to grow and develop his talent after dancing for 5 years, and his teacher thinks he will be tall with the body needed for ballet but you just know until he is done growing and developing. And all those steps in between have the ability to affect his chances of getting a scholarship . . . or not!! Who knows???

Thyme

Hear hear finallykf!! I cant find my emoticons on my ipad but if i could they would be clapping! :)

Boydancermom

Curious about CPYB - I have heard that they don't give boys SI scholarships (just yearly).....is that true? If no one has ever received one then I will save the $80 application fee.

Clara 76

They also don't do auditions and will accept anyone until their numbers are full. What is you are looking for?

Boydancermom

Hi Clara,

First and foremost, other male ballet dancers.....he is the only ballet boy even close to his age in his studio. I think he needs the comaraderie and friendly competition that other boys would offer. I saw how that helped him in gymnastics and he isn't getting that right now. (alhough his instructors are male). From the feedback that we have been given, his technique is good esp considering that he started a year ago - he needs to work on stage presence at this point. We are also looking for a place where he can learn a lot, work hard, but also have fun.

We are also looking to "try out" an SI as a potential full time program for him. We would prefer that he not land too far from where we live (for possible weekend visits) - so CPYB (10 hours away) and Next Gen (7.5 hours), or Orlando (6 hours) come to mind....

Right now he also isn't getting any conditioning - and no exposure to the Grand Prix which I think he would enjoy....(he enjoyed competing in gymnastics).

Thanks for any info.

pasdedeuxmama

DebinCharleston, be aware that sometimes the SI is staffed by different people by the year-round staff. And it may have a different feel from a year-round class by virtue of its duration, the students who travel to go there, the freedom of summer, and the ability to dance all day vs. fitting it in around daily school and home responsibilities. I'm sure there are more experienced people who will chime in, but unless your son is company-ready and looking for a job this summer, I don't think you need to find the 'perfect' SI for his first time. Did he like one class over the others? Do the SIs have a good reputation for a good experience for boys? Does your son prefer a large SI or a small one? What can you afford? You will have other summers and opportunities to refine his choices and he'll for sure get an earful about his peers' other summer experiences and get more ideas, too. Good luck to you and your DS!

Clara 76

I think you should be able to find what you're looking for closer to home, if home is in the Southern quadrant :wink: Atlanta Ballet, UNCSA, Orlando Ballet, Harid, and Richmond Ballet are all closer than CPYB. Of those only Orlando Ballet does YAGP, but Next Gen. does.

Boydancermom

Thanks Clara......(and pasa). The only reason I'm over thinking it is that we are full-time year round school shopping. If he likes his SI and they ask him to stay with the right offer, he likely will - so it's a bigger decision than what it appears on the face of it.

GTLS Designs

If are year-round shopping, then the decision needs to be able the school. Not about the scholarship.

I suggest you spend some time reading the pre-professional school threads: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=147

Or here: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=155

jflyte

Deb, if you're in SC, you could also look at the SC Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities. I don't recall if you said how old your son is, but dancers can start in 10th grade. Younger ones can go to their SI. They also have had success at YAGP and have produced professional dancers.

Boydancermom

Thanks Jtlyte,

Yes - we are in SC (wish we were in NC!). We checked into SC Governor's School last summer and it seems to have more of a modern focus since the male director left. Not sure if it's the right fit for our son but we will certainly take another look at it. It's a lot closer than Tampa, Orlando or UNCSA :-)

Boydancermom

xx

GTLS Designs

You don't need to restate your reasoning for longing for a scholarship.... We understand.... I'm sorry for all that you've been through.

There is lots of advice being given to you by some very experienced folks who have been there, and done that, in the world of ballet. You need to step beyond the economics and starting listening to the advice that is being offered. Your son is ONLY 14 after ONLY 1 year of ballet. You have another 3+ years of training before a career may POSSIBLY happen.

This is the last time I will say it.... Please be less concerned about the scholarship and more concerned about the school/training. Once you have figured out where there is a good fit, then you can discuss the finances with the school. Just as we on BT4D are understanding of the suffering your family has gone through, so will a residential ballet school. However, the school will not be so favorable if they feel you are shopping around for a free ride.