Ballet Talk for Dancers
Coconut

World Ballet Competition - Anyone had experience?

Coconut

Hello,

has anyone been to World Ballet Competition either in Romania or Florida? My dd is keen to compete this year in Romania and her teachers are encouraging her. She feels it will be a good opportunity to polish some variations.

We are in the UK.

The Romanian competition is open (no audition necessary). I'm interested to know if the experience is worth the travel cost. They don't have masterclasses in Romania, only Florida.

(dd is 17 and at a classical vocational school)

Any thoughts appreciated,

thank you.

learningdance

This is an interesting story of a student whose career was launched by WBC.

Thyme

Was there meant to be a link with your message learngintodance? :whistling:

finallykf

No, I think she is predicting great things for Coconut's dd's ballet career and one day we can all look back and see that it started right here with her question about the World Ballet Competition!

I promise I'm not trying to be sassy, but when I first read it, I thought that was what she was saying!!!

I'm guessing there was supposed to be a link ; )

dancemaven

Back to the topic at hand: Has anyone had first-hand experience with this particular competition?

Thyme

Hey Coconut- sounds like nobody (or no one so far, anyways) has experience of this competition. Can you tell us what you know about it? Perhaps we should know more on this forum. :yes:

Coconut

Hi Thyme,

well, I only really know what is on their website. Not sure if it is permissible to paste links on the forum, but it is easily found by googling World Ballet Competition. There are two competitions, the first, in Romania and it is open. Doesn't require video audition. The second is in Orlando Florida. As far as I know, you need to submit a video audition of your variations before being accepted into the finals in June. The Romanian competition has finals within it, plus the winners are invited to the finals in Orlando. There is a job fair in Orlando as well, with audition opportunities for dancers.

My daughter watches many, many youtube videos of young dancers and has come across a lot from the Orlando competition. There are a number online from the Romanian event as well, but more from USA.

There are also daily masterclasses during the US competition.

Edited by Coconut

svel86

My dd competed at 2014 wbc in Orlando. Although she very much enjoyed herself, I can say this was no different than any other competition. If your teacher feels she is ready, I say go for it. If your teacher is also a judge at wbc, also go for it. That was the most disappointing to me as a parent, that judges brought their students to compete. REALLY?? During the awards ceremony, all the judges were introduced and seated on stage. This led to some awkwardness when a judge's name was called as the WINNER of the choreography award (which had a cash prize of significant value).. The judge stood up and claimed his prize. say whaaaat??? As for the master classes, again I was told no one but competitors were allowed in the class. However, certain teachers were allowed to sit in the class and point out their student to whoever was teaching. Yes, we brought this to the attention of the wbc organizers, who insisted that wasn't allowed. Yet it continued all week. Also noted, we were given a list of schools that award scholarships, only half maybe actually did. I give it 2 stars out of 5. Again, my dd had a blast competing, enjoyed the master classes and was oblivious to the duplicity going on.

Coconut

Thanks svel86 for sharing your experience. That's a little disappointing, although not entirely unexpected - I'm yet to see a competition which seems really fair. I had also noticed that most of the winners in Romania were Romanian, that rang a bit of an alarm :). It does seem particularly unfair to allow students to be judged by their own teachers!

We have decided to attend, and the main reason was my dd wanted the experience of preparation. So far she has been working hard and benefiting from the preparation, so hopefully even if the judging is biased, it will be worth the effort.

Sadly there are no masterclasses in Romania, only Orlando.

lara1331

Hi coconut,  would you be able to elaborate on your dd's experience at WBC?  I am looking into entering this year but was also looking for feedback from people who have first hand experienced the competition and whether it is worth doing or not.