Jump to content
Ballet Talk for Dancers
LovesLabor

A,B,C Plans or Eggs in One Basket, Deferring College

Recommended Posts

magical life   
magical life

We have a similar story. By mid-April it was clear that my DD was interested in a deferral year to continue her training. She had three very strong dance colleges on the table with three very generous artistic scholarship offers. One school told us we could defer the admission but she would have to audition again for artistic merit. That school allowed up to 12 credits during the year to maintain a freshman status. One school would put everything on hold for a year and allowed the same amount of transferable college credit during the year. The last assured us (informally) her merit would stay in place but allowed no college courses during the deferral year--if she enrolled in even one course she would have to reapply as a transfer student. Financial aid in all cases would be re-evaluated. The only common theme was that we needed to make a deposit (to only one school) by May 1st. The school she choose only asked that we complete deferral contracts by mid-July. We did have a conversation about "changing our mind" and the school's ability to be nimble enough for that. It would not have been a problem if she had decided in August to enroll. I learned that every admission office was very willing to discuss their options and guidelines. So I would encourage open conversation with the school. Good luck. For our family this was a very stress filled time.

Edited by magical life

Share this post


Link to post
Guest watermelonsugar   
Guest watermelonsugar

We have a similar story as well. DD applied to several non-dancing colleges while recovering from hip surgery last year. Plan B and C was in full gear and we put down a deposit in the Spring. She attended a summer program that she auditioned for via video (much to our surprise). The last week of July she was invited for the year. She took til the end of the first week of August to follow her heart and try again for plan A. Indeed, a very stressful time for all, especially DD.

 

We hadn't read any of the college deferral policies or even dreamed we'd need to. DD sent an email explaining her situation and inquired about her options. This particular school had a policy in place, but given the circumstances they were willing to allow a late deferral and she could even keep her (relatively hefty) scholarship intact for one year. She was not discouraged from taking outside classes, but they didn't usually accept credits from other institutions for freshman so it seemed unnecessary for her to go that route. It does seem to vary quite a bit from school to school and very dependent upon the reason for the deferral.

 

All in all, I would say definitely divide the eggs as much as you can. Plans A, B and C seem to have to happen simultaneously for much longer than we would like to think.

 

Best of luck to all on this part of the journey.

Share this post


Link to post
LovesLabor   
LovesLabor

Thank you all for sharing your stories with this.

Share this post


Link to post
DancinDreams   
DancinDreams

As DD begins her journey, she is already trying to seek answers for balancing university and going for the dream. In the above threads references for deferrals are made but is anyone finding that true for universities that dance is only a minor? Or even those that do not have a classical ballet department?

Share this post


Link to post
dancemaven   
dancemaven

DancinDreams, deferrals are deferrals. Just check the university/colleges' policies regarding deferrals. It is not just a departmental issue, so whether there is a dance department or not, there is a deferral policy for the university/college.

Share this post


Link to post
gsmom   
gsmom

LovesLabor,

We were in your boat last year! DD did defer to her 1st choice college. We had to pay a 300.00 ( I think) deposit as if she were to attend...and then she was able to request a deferral. The University was more than happy to grant it too, as they had seen by her transcript the path she has been on. The only thing is that if she doesn't start with the next year (Fall 2015) she will lose her academic scholarship. However, she was told it will not be a problem for her to reapply. And they wished her luck! Hope things work out for you.....

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×