Ballet Talk for Dancers
Lady Elle

Auditions: Follow-up etiquette

Lady Elle

In most professions, it is appropriate to send a thank-you note to a company/person that you have recently interviewed with. Is it appropriate after a company audition that went particularly well (not cut at all, down to you and 5 others) to send a note just saying "thanks for the opportunity to audition, I really enjoyed the class and hope to be hearing from you soon" kind of note? Or is that not appropriate in the dance world?

dancemaven

Why on earth would it not be considered appropriate or polite? :shrug: Common courtesies are not verboten in the dance world.

Lady Elle

That is exactly what I thought!! My close family member who is going through auditioning process right now doesn't think of those things, nor does her mama. I just mentioned it as I don't want to seem like a pushy aunt. My dd (not dancer but recent collge grad) always sends thank you notes - not emails - to those who have given her the opportunity of an interview. Thanks - you confirmed my thoughts. My guess is she feels its pushy and desparate or something.

gav

I would only add that notes sent by postal mail, while lovely, are kind of slow-moving for the current business environment. If I'd been cut from an audition, a handwritten note would be nice. But if I left an audition still in consideration and waiting to hear the outcome, I'd send an email that day so I knew it would be received right away.

Mobadt

So glad someone asked this....I've been telling my DD that she should send these and she tells me it's just not done - probably for that desperate/pushy reason. I now have some more opinions to convince her otherwise, so thank you!!!! :flowers:

Lady Elle

Gav - they said they were looking at a few others for consideration mid- March so she's thinking she won't be hearing from them until the end of the month. And yes, I think it would have been good to follow up on immediately. But, I think I'm perceived as an old ballet mom who doesn't really get how things are done out there in the real world of professional dance (my dancing dd is just a freshman in high school).

diane

This is an interesting discussion.

I have asked my DDs about this before, and they both think that it is probably "not done" because it tends to appear as if the dancer auditioning is trying to influence the person making the decision. (although it would also depend on the auditioning situation; whether company class, open audition, "cattle call", or whatever)

I do not know what is the best way; surely it depends on the situation and on the dancer him/herself and how they really feel about it.

-d-

dancemaven

If you ask any interviewee, they would likely say that they would feel it would appear to be currying favor. (And, for heavens sake! They should be!!!! How else do you think one gets the position! You must 'influence the decision-maker in as many ways as possible: talent, skill, personality, graciousness, etc). However, that is just coming from their vulnerable position. That is why there are rules of etiquette in place---to help bridge those type of vulnerable, unsure feelings.

I would say that if one were cut at a 'cattle call', a note may be unnecessary (but still would be polite). But if one made it through to the end of a cattle call, or was invited for company class, or attended an open audition where there was an opportunity to be acknowledged as an individual, it would simply be good business manners to send a note acknowledging the opportunity and your interest.

Momof3darlings

I agree with dancemaven. If you are cut in a cattle call, then no I don't think it's necessary. But if you are asked to stay until the end and speak to an actual company rep, a thank you is in order. If you are invited to a company class audition, a thank you is in order. This is not a competition where sending a thank you to the judge might seem an attempt at a bribe. This is a thank you to someone for their time and consideration. It is common for those interviewing for jobs to send a thank you to the person(s) who interviewed them and the person who invited them to interview in the first place. I don't see this as any different.

In terms of whether it should be paper or email. I prefer paper. Emails are quickly read and deleted That little card might stay on the desk before it hits File 13, but that's just me. In today's time email seems to be the way of the world.

pasdedeuxmama

My experience is as someone who interviews candidates and influences hiring decisions in the business world. Fewer than 5% of candidates have ever sent me a thank you note or email, so believe me that I consider it an amazingly positive thing if they take this extra step! It may or may not influence my recommendation, but if it was between them and someone else and they were equally qualified, I'd take the person with the good manners every time.

Lady Elle

Thank you all for your feedback. Very affirming.

LoveMyJob

So appreciative to see this thread. My son was also at the end of a cut this past weekend. At the end, (ironically enough, Lady Elle) he and 5 others remained, and they told him in his audition that they had another round of auditions this coming weekend. I, too, thought a thank you note might be in order. I'm so grateful to see this thread. It's always worth a shot.

Pensive

I would suggest writing a note and overnighting it. First, it gets there promptly, and second, almost anything sent via FedEx (or similar company) usually piques the interest of the recipient enough for it to be read. Then, you are on their minds. It also leaves the impression that you are truly interested in the company or you wouldn't have bothered. I wouldn't do it if I were cut early on, but if I knew I was in that final group and really wanted to dance there, I would do whatever was necessary to relay that desire to the appropriate decision makers.

Marseas Mom

Thank you for all of these wonderful suggestions! This is a terrific thread, which I just showed to DD.

Pensive, I really like the idea of overnighting a note. I used to do it when I was interviewing in the business world, but didn't think of suggesting that to DD. Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

formosa21

Don't do it. If they like you, they will grab you real hard and you will feel that. If you want a successful career in the dance world you want to go to a place that *wants* you badly. Don't forget that you are judging them from the audition as well.