Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dave62

Spousal approval or dissapproval.

silvergreydancer   
silvergreydancer

Dave 62

I'm 63. I've taken class for about 10 years. I had taken a small number of classes, less than a dozen, in my 20's in college. No, she didn't know about the previous classes. Her reaction was "What are you gay now!" I just said it was something I'd always wanted to try and I didn't need her permission.

As I said before," If you must sacrifice your happiness for hers, then there is something wrong!"

Kini   
Kini

Her reaction was "What are you gay now!" I just said it was something I'd always wanted to try and I didn't need her permission.

Why is that the immediate assumption? Just pi$$e$ me off to no end that people, even loved ones jump to that conclusion. Whats even worse is when trolls use it on message boards.

And people wonder why young men can't be kept in ballet classes, its tough when they have to fight that assumed stereo type right at the start.

(Getting off of my soap box now)

Apologies Silvergreydancer this rant isn't directed at you.

dansair   
dansair

Dave62,

Actually, I did no suggest you to quit ballet. I was interested in what would your wife think about pilates vs ballet. Any difference between the two?

Also, I do not quite follow that "feminine side" thing. Are you saying that ballet is feminine? That does not make any sense to me.

MJ   
MJ

Dave62, has your Spouse given up anything? Something she really enjoys?

adultdancervienna   
adultdancervienna

A year ago I thought me to learn ballet . I looked at me where I can attend a course . The biggest problem was how I explain it to my wife . This summer , I finally made ​​the decision to begin with . I chose a 4 -week workshop . Every Tuesday learn ballet for one hour. I told my wife what I intend . I was really nervous because I did not know what she will say . She was amazed and I told her that I want to try ballet . For my wife , it was fine , sometimes she makes small jokes about it . In autumn I will begin a course for beginners .

As for clothing , she asks me what to wear . When ballet I wear a t-shirt , leggings and ballet shoes . For my wife that's fine.

Dave62   
Dave62

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments. I going to back off the ballet class push until next fall, and then bring up the subject again. I figured at this time in our relationship, (of which we need to work on), it would better to keep the peace rather than cause turmoil. I believe if our relationship is stronger, ballet will not be such an issue for her. I've enrolled in an educational course this spring, so that takes up some time each month, and between work and other interests, my plate is full right now anyway.

MJ - good question. No she hasn't given up anything she likes to do. I realize that. But I need to pick and chose my battles.

I will dance again, but not right now. The desire is too strong to back away from it.

Thanks to all of you again,

David

ViolaDancer   
ViolaDancer

Dave62,

It sounds like you're making the best choice for your relationship at this point. I do hope that your desire for dance can be a reality and your wife can support you in it. Best of luck in your relationship and your dancing.

Robert   
Robert

My wife has been very supportive. In fact, she is now interested in doing some ballet. She is a pilates devotee.