Ballet Talk for Dancers
Noodles

Summer Dance, SIs etc....?

Noodles

Hey Parents what are your young dancer's dance plans for the summer? Is your dancer going away to an SI? Staying home for an SI? Any other interesting dance related activities?

DD has open technique classes 4 days per week through July, then her home SI in August for 3 weeks. Then a couple of weeks off until school begins.

We hope to squeeze in lots of pool time and some laps, which has proven to be beneficial to her dancing.

natashabrown

The same, except 3 weeks technique and 2 week jr intensive and then break. She is SO excited, this will be her first intensive.

L_One

She's just finishing up week 3 of 4 at her local SI then she'll have a 2 week break before going to The Rock for 3 weeks - first out-of-town SI (what was I thinking?!?). Then she'll have a couple of weeks off before the fall ballet schedule starts up. She's also managed to squeeze in several sleepovers and pool days, so she's enjoying summer with her friends, too.

mom2dancinggirls12

OCballet

My DD has recently recovered from an injury, so no SI. She's staying home and going back to 4 technique classes and adding 1 contemporary class and pilates. She also swims every summer so she'll be doing that as well.

workmail

My 11 year old is doing a 2 week day camp that is mostly jazz at her home studio and some continuity classes.

She has her second year at the young dancer program at Carolina Ballet which is close to our house (2 weeks); they get to take with company ballet dancers.

Then, she is going to a 2 week away camp called Hindu Heritage Summer Camp and spending a week with grandparents.

She has been taking dance since age 3 and finally has had 2 pointe classes where she could take barre in pointe shoes!

Mom2LilRed

My 12 year old dd is doing a 4 week Jr Intensive at her home school. This is her 2nd year doing the Jr. Intensive. It's for dancers age 9-14, and she is learning so much. She comes home everyday showing me new variations or combinations, and is excited about her ballet history classes. Next up is 2 weeks at the Sarasota Ballet SI, then time in Florida with family and friends.

kr12

DD11 - 3 week Jr intensive at her home school, 2 weeks of regular sleep away camp, 1 week of family vacation

5678StarMom

DD12 is taking 4 days of classes Monday-Thursday totaling 9 hours a week the month of June plus 2 private lessons a week totaling 2.25 hours. Then she gets 2 weeks off, and has a 2 week long mixed style intensive taking 7 hours of class a day plus a dance concert at the end of it. Then 2 weeks off again. (She might have a private or 2) After all that, she has her very first ballet only 2 week intensive! The very next week she starts school and fall dance.

She's already gotten so much stronger in her pointe work since she started her summer dance. She's taking from a new to her studio that has a more advanced program. We've got hope now that she can continue growing and advancing as a dancer a few more years with this studio!

Edited by 5678StarMom

Noodles

I love reading everyone's plans! Lots of busy dancers out there this summer!

Mom de deux

DD just turned 11 and is not going away this year. She is doing our home studio's SI. (6 weeks, M-F 9-4:30) She loves it so far. They get technique, pointe/pre-pointe, variations and some rotating special classes like jazz, modern, pilates, etc.

She's especially looking forward to the 2 guest teacher weeks (Barbara Sandonato and Rafael Grigorian) The 6 weeks are not continuous, so sprinkled in there are our family vacations, some evening classes on the weeks the SI isn't available, and we are trying to line up a handful of privates if we can.

And lest I forget DD4, she'll be staying in the swing of things by taking two of the weeks of classes offered for her age. I only signed her up for 2 weeks, not all 4, and she was angry when we went to pick up her big sister at the studio last night and she saw that other little girls her age were getting ready for class. She burst into tears and said "I want to dance!" :)

workmail

Awww! That poor little girl. It's good to see them inspired and wanting to participate.

L_One

Mom de deux - So cute! Love to see the little ones so motivated to dance. :)

Tayperry88

No SI's or Jr SI's for us yet! so ready DS9 will take two ballet classes a week for 6 weeks and he will also start back up with guitar lessons. He's pretty excited about that because we had to put it on hold during the school year with all his extra dance rehearsals.

WannaPrimaMom

DD10 will be doing a 3 week intensive at her home studio (M-F 9:30-5:30). This is her first real SI and she's looking forward to it because in addition to LOTS of ballet, she'll get to try a few different types of dance that she hasn't done yet, such as modern and character.