Ballet Talk for Dancers
BlleFille

Class in Leotard SANS skirt?

BlleFille

Are there many of you ladies out there who take class in a leotard without a cover up? I have noticed that most adult dancers and professionals use a skirt, shorts or those ugly garbage pants and pros seem to cover up more than anyone, in general. Most of the young ballet students (under 18) wear a leotard on it's own with tights which makes sense for young girls so their teachers can see their lines clearly and their bodies lend themselves to this look most of the time.

Do many of you wear a leo alone? I would be scared to death to! Having hips and a booty, I feel I need more coverage ;) I usually wear small shorts and a short skirt or heavier woolly shorts with black leggings.

There are a few adults in my intermediate classes who tend to wear a leotard on it's own with pink tights and I find it surprising as even when you are thin, it exposes A LOT especially if you have had kids or neglected your bikini line LOL

In the end I know it doesn't matter as we are all there to have fun and to learn. So I guess what I'm asking is, how common is it for adults to wear leotards solo? And am I just a coward? LOL :)

jd29

I rarely wear a leo alone (only for masterclass when you dont have the choice) mostly warm up for the first few exercise then mostly leo woth skirt, and sometimes slim short. I love to wear my wear moi leo with short skirt included (dress). In wibter when I out a gaynor minden sweater tight over my pink tight I don't wear anything except the leo. Guess it depend on the color of the tight. I feel naked in only leo and pink tight... in my adult class no one wear just leo and tight... adult thing I think !

ami1436

There are a few adults in my intermediate classes who tend to wear a leotard on it's own with pink tights and I find it surprising as even when you are thin, it exposes A LOT especially if you have had kids or neglected your bikini line LOL

In the end I know it doesn't matter as we are all there to have fun and to learn. So I guess what I'm asking is, how common is it for adults to wear leotards solo?

At the end we are there to dance. To have fun and learn. Honestly, I only really notice other's clothes if I love them (Oh, great leotard, I love your cover-up...), but otherwise? Of course it exposes a lot... "especially if you have had kids..."?

I'm sorry, but I dance because I love it. I've had serious health issues that have changed my bodies. Other people have other stories. All should be visible in dance class because of their dancing. If you have the option to wear what you want, go for it.

As for pros, cover ups, etc..... remember that they may be dancing long hours, and have injuries to tend to, etc. Yes, part of it is a rite of passage. Part of it is self-care.

BlleFille

Oh I totally agree that all that truly matters is your dancing. I am not disputing that. This post is just a question about dance wear.

In the end, you can wear a sack and if you are a beautiful dancer, you are a beautiful dancer. What you wear means very little. I think that is proved by the fact that many pros actually DO wear sack like clothing and in spite of that, look INCREDIBLE :)

Redbookish

I wear only a leotard and tights. And sometimes a set of knitted thick tights over that for warmth. Studios in England can be cold, and I like to dance hot (old body). I agree with Ami: I don't notice in a judgemental way what people wear, and I hope I'm never close enough to notice details of bikini line etc!

kr12

Wear what you are most comfortable in...no one cares. If you aren't feeling confident in your attire - that may translate into your dancing. I usually wear a skirt or shorts over my leo/tights. Occasionally I'll do black tights over a leo without a skirt/shorts. Wear something that is fitted enough to see lines....otherwise wear what suits you best.

Old_Faun

Here in Germany in adult classes everyone wears things she/he likes - including the teacher.

Active dancers from companies have the worst taste, but other (older) teachers often look like Pina Bausch.

I have never seen pink tights+Leo in any adult class, it's just for PrePro Teens and ballet academy.

LaFilleSylphide

It depends on how hot it is for me. If it's very hot with no ac, then yes, I will end up in only leotards and tights quite often. I am certain that there's nothing scandalous going on down "there" though.

Prokofiev

I wear a leo and tights despite my middle-aged body, but I'm the only adult in my studio who doesn't add a skirt or lots of layers. I just feel messy somehow, and our studio is really warm so it's not a temperature issue. (I have yet to find a skirt that's long enough it doesn't make me feel like a water buffalo but short enough not to conceal lines.) But then, I'm the one with my long hair in a flat bun with hairnet, too - so perhaps it's just my INFJ compulsiveness at work... ?

ami1436

If this:

Oh I totally agree that all that truly matters is your dancing. I am not disputing that. This post is just a question about dance wear.

In the end, you can wear a sack and if you are a beautiful dancer, you are a beautiful dancer. What you wear means very little. I think that is proved by the fact that many pros actually DO wear sack like clothing and in spite of that, look INCREDIBLE :)

Then why this:

In the end I know it doesn't matter as we are all there to have fun and to learn. So I guess what I'm asking is, how common is it for adults to wear leotards solo? And am I just a coward? LOL :)

There are a lot of judgements in there about body shape, thoughts about women's grooming, post-child bodies, etc.

Dancers (of any age) can be a ragged group! You never know what another person is going through, why they are presenting themselves a certain way, etc. I know for me, both my shape and my dress depend on everything from what was clean that day to what was happening at work to what's going on with my health. Usually, I'm just happy to get myself to class, never mind the clothes. Of course, there are days when I wear my have leo or whatever to feel better -- but that's for me. Not for everyone else.

And bodies react differently to different things. My hubs is super tall as is one of his best friends. The two of them eat a ton! But one is soooo lanky. Other bodies respond to post-child birth differently.. and man, they have a child to show for it! AND they made it to dance class? Whoa!!!! Hurray!

I hope no one feels that closely watched/judge with regards to their bodies in class. Anyone can dance. Can any go pro? Well no, but the pro aesthetic changes over time, just like any other tastes, and may change again. Who knows. Wear what works for you. If you feel like testing your limits of comfort, than go for it. Others can do the same, and their limits may be different than yours. As long as there's nothing inappropriate for class, and it meets the school's/teacher's guidelines, it works.

Lets also remember that the Adult boards is open for all to read, including teens and those just browsing…

BlleFille

Yes I understand.. my words were poorly chosen perhaps. No offence meant or judgment either and I am a million miles from perfect (hence my cover ups ;) )

I can edit or have a moderator remove my post if it is cause for upset at all by anyone.

gav

I don't there was offence or upset. I think it can be really helpful to identify people's deeply held beliefs -- so deep they didn't really realize they held them -- and to shine light on them. Dancers being self conscious is certainly nothing new, and I think it can be helpful to take note of how (1) we are often our own worst enemies and (2) the only accurate generalization is that every generalization is wrong some (maybe a lot) of the time.

wembley

I usually wear mid thigh length unitards, sometimes with a skirt, sometimes without. I stopped wearing a leotard and tights a few years ago because I was overheating a lot, and not having synthetic tights on helps with preventing overheating (for me, at least). I do wear a leotard and tights without a skirt if I am doing an exam, both for the actual exam and in the weeks leading up to it so that I get used to it, but I haven't done an exam for two years now.

Redbookish

I'm wearing my Moderator hat here (lightly, I hope).

We need to remember that anyone can read this part of the message board, including impressionable young dancers, who - together with their families - sometimes have to navigate difficult things to do with their bodies and their development. We need to remember this.

We also need to remember that as adults, we dance for our pleasure, for the challenge of learning an exacting art, and for the sheer joy of moving. As I head closer to 60, that last reason for dancing is more and more important.

We also live in a world, unfortunately, where women's bodies are judged all the time, and mostly by other women. Women also live with constricting notions of "modesty" where our natural bodies are seen to be somehow shameful or needing to be covered up in particular ways. Dance is a celebration of the power, strength, and ability of all bodies to move. It's human. Let's remember that.

Redbookish

Not a Moderator comment :happy:

And PS. I often wear black leotard with pink tights under. The pale tights show me and my teacher the articulation of muscle, particularly as I'm still (50 years on!) working on keeping my hips still and pointing forward.