Ballet Talk for Dancers
lanine

Books: Good ballet books for young dancers

lanine

DD is 10. She saw that I had Michaela DePrince's book Taking Flight on my nightstand and asked to read it. I read it and thought it was a fantastic book but worried it might be too mature for her with the war experiences talked about in the book.

I decided to let her read it because adversity and struggles are real and I wanted her to get another person's perspective on the world. I felt she was mature enough to handle it. She loved the book and asked if there were any others out there she could read. I thought about Misty Copeland's memoir as a good possible one. I also want to check with the BT4D community to see if anyone has other recommendations for a good ballet/dance book for young dancers (not technical ones since we have plenty of those). Thanks!

aspirant_dancer

I really enjoyed Jenifer Ringer's book, "Dancing Through it," but that might be a book that you would want to read before letting your DD read it as it discusses eating disorders and things like that quite a bit.

dancemaven

Lanine, This Forum is arranged alphabetically by category, e.g., Ballets, Books, etc. There have been topics regarding suggested books for young dancers at various times, as well as discussions regarding specific books.

If you haven't done so yet, I would encourage you to go to the Index for this Forum, scroll down to where the 'Books" topics begin and look through various threads that catch your eye. There are several regarding suggestions for specific aged young dancers that might be useful to you. :thumbsup:

lanine

Thanks, dancemaven!