Ballet Talk for Dancers
Oglefresh

1st Nutcracker Audition Advice

AB'sMom   
AB'sMom

My DD has done Nutcracker with a professional company for the past two years. The taller kids are usually cast as soldiers. The dancing is no more difficult than any other children's role. I believe the students consider polichinelle to be the hardest role for a dancing perspective. 

As far as turning down roles, I believe it is frowned upon because it could be construed as the student only having a willingness to participate if he/she gets the role he/she wants. 

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

Just to clarify, I was worried that DD would be grouped with older dancers *during the audition* due to height, meaning there was a higher chance that she won't get a role. Her school's company is on tour, therefore she can ONLY do outside auditions for other local schools & companies. I'm not sure what her chances are of getting a role at a school that holds open auditions; I feel their students will have priority. Some companies don't have an affiliated school, so I like that the playing field will be even in a sense as they look for children from several local ballet schools. I'm glad to hear that there are roles for "in between" heights. 

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

Thanks for the feedback, AB'sMom. If DD has to choose one audition, I'll probably encourage her to go for a company over a school. 

cammies   
cammies

DanceMumNyc, I thought I'd add some other details from our experience, in case it helps. Of course all schools/companies are different. 

1. I strongly recommend not declining a role. I agree with others that it is frowned upon, especially given your situation that you are trying for spot at an "outside" audition. There are cases/tidbits on this board of dancers declining roles and that being ok for some schools' "culture", typically it seems to be when all students get one or more roles, etc. In general, though, the majority of posts I have read over the years indicate one should NOT decline, and in fact at our school and others, declining a role or dropping out once starting means one will not be able to audition the next year. 

2. Of course, as others have indicated, every school has a different way they deal with height/level/roles.  At ours (professional-company-affiliated: it is a big nutcracker with many shows over 2 weeks, and it also tours in another city, allowing many local kids to be cast for that tour), there are advanced roles AND non-advanced roles for the tallest as well as the middle heights. For the super-shorties, most roles are very basic and do not require significant technique, but there are still some much longer roles at the shorter heights which require a bit more skill. Ours is not unique in this: there are likely to be varied "levels" of roles even at the taller end of the student cast. 

Best of luck to your DD and Happy Nutcrackering!

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

Thank you so much, cammies!