3girls

ABT Jackie Onassis School

397 posts in this topic

I have not seen anyone at YAGP finals in the last 4 years. However, I have seen YAGP winners given JKO bids, Studio Co bids, etc.

For many students getting to a strong, vocational school is the point of YAGP. It was what we had hoped for.

Thank you Learningdance!

Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone has first-hand experience balancing academics while attending ABT's JKO school. I know over at SAB, students are connected to PPAS or PCS (they don't audition & automatically get in due to their affiliation with SAB). Do ABT's students automatically get into schools like PPAS and PCS, where they have flexibility that allows students to attend school around their ballet schedule? Does the LaGuardia Performing Arts school have this flexibility for ballet dancers as well? Do most ABT JKO students just get homeschooled? How do parents manage working and homeschooling? Any insight is helpful. Thank you! 

It's not easy. My husband works from home and is able to arrange his schedule to accompany our kids from NJ where we live. We also have a long commute. They have always been homeschooled but students in the upper levels who have a long commute have to be really dedicated to get their academics done. I know some students who go to the schools mentioned but I don't know how they got accepted. I am a stay at home mom. Two working parents would have a hard time especially if they lived outside of NYC like we do.

Thanks dluna. I definitely agree. Even living within the other boroughs, commutes into the city can last up to two hours each way. I know many older ballet students choose to be homeschooled and are responsible for taking online classes while their parents work. Then, they travel to ballet alone. I can't imagine my DD having to educate herself and travel alone, so I'm trying to find the best option for us. She also prefers to stay in a traditional school. Her current school is private so they've allowed me to pick her up a little early in the past just to have adequate travel time. I'm not sure what we'll do when she's in more advanced levels that take place during school hours. I am considering putting her in a school in the city so that it'll be an easier after-school commute.  

Does anyone have any insight on the academics offered at PCS? I would like to keep her in a vigorous learning environment. 

You should contact PCS directly. I know they are very open to having families visit. They can probably connect you to parents of dance students currently at PCS.

Thank you 5uptown!