Ballet Talk for Dancers
3girls

ABT Jackie Onassis School

kbunhead

I'm theguptas daughter. I find it very interesting that they cut a pre-professional level last year, but are now increasing the number of levels in the children's division. Seems like an odd distribution, since it appears that there's only about 50 dancers in pre-pro and hundreds in children's division. Perhaps it is to be able to closely cultivate more potential talent for pre-pro once the young students come of age?

DanceMumNYC

I found this odd too. Apparently so many children began enrolling that they had to create 3 sections for some the primary levels. I honestly thought that was just about money. But now I think adding levels 2A, 2B and 3A, 3B (as opposed to just levels 2 & 3) allows the students to really refine their technique before being considered for the pre-pro division. I know many parents in the past have been extremely disappointed to learn that most children's division students are not accepted into the pre-pro division. I'm hoping that these changes give more younger JKO kids a shot of getting into the pre-pro division as pre-teens/teens.  

learningdance

This model seems similar to SAB except I think that SAB has many more in the pre pro levels??? Certainly more than 50.  

And yes, it is likley about money. ABT has like 6  different SIs. They sell teacher training for certification in their curriculum. They are capitalizing on their brand. If it works for you, stay. 

DanceMumNYC

Speaking of the teacher training/certification, ABT curriculum uses levels 1-7. I wonder how the whole system works now that they no longer use pre-pro levels 4-7, and instead call it "upper 1" and "upper 2." 

And yes, I believe SAB has many more pre-pro levels. One parent on here mentioned that ABT cut about 50% of the class last year when they went from 4 to 2 pre-pro levels. 

AB'sMom

Kbunhead’s theory may be right. Schools get flack if they don’t produce much “homegrown” talent, so by making their pool of potential preprofessional students larger they have more kids to choose from. And, as DanceMumNYC said, having A and B hopefully allows kids to really refine their technique before moving up. I’m sure money is a factor as well, because the little ones pay more on a per hour basis than the older kids. Schools are also judged on where their preprofessional students end up dancing. As a parent I guess I would rather a school have a smaller pool of advanced dancers and have most of them get contracts somewhere. SAB seems to have a better track record on that front. 

DanceMumNYC

I assumed the upper 1 level used the curriculum designed for levels 4-5 and upper 2 used that for levels 6-7. Just a theory. :shrug:

I know a few families aren't returning (mostly from the children's division) due to some of the changes, mostly the scheduling. I'm not sure how the exams were affected, but they should find out results and placement for next year very soon Registration for new students starts June 11th I believe, so returning students should be registered before then.

dancemaven

Please do remember that this thread—-as all our threads—-are for the posting of  first-hand experiences and questions.  We must refrain from speculation, theories, and guesses. :gossip:  We are going down that road. :wink:  Please return to questions and first-hand information. 

DanceMumNYC

There was a delay due to the holiday. Placement went out today & yes, new students can register beginning June 11th. Returning students can register starting next week! Good luck everyone.