Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest beckster

smelly shoes

10 posts in this topic

1) My leather ballet shoes have seen a lot of use over the past year, and smell really quite horrible. (I have no idea how that happened, because I am a delicate young lady and I don't sweat, I GLOW. Obviously my feet have been glowing quite a lot ;)). What's the best way of getting rid of the smell? I was thinking of maybe odour-control powder or something.

Of course, if the smell won't go, maybe I can use this as an excuse to get the canvas shoes I've been craving!

2) My ballet classes have finished for the summer, and start up again at the start of September. Before I went to the school I'm at now, I went to drop-in basic adult classes somewhere else. I know that these classes continue over the summer. What is the etiquette for taking a few classes at a different studio for a short time? I don't want to go behind my normal teacher's back, but on the other hand it would only be a total of about four classes. Should I phone up to ask/tell my teacher, or am I making a fuss over nothing?

I put a single sheet fo fabric softener in each slipper after class. In the States we have one called "Bounce" that works very nicely. It keeps the shoes from smelling even for those who "glow". It also keeps your dance bag smelling pretty nice as well. A sheet lasts about a month or more.

As soon as I get home from class I dump all my dance things, including shoes, on the floor and spread them out to dry. I've never had a problem with my canvas shoes smelling. I've never used leather shoes, and it's possible that they may require different care.

Its quite alright to wash leather shoes. I have done this and nothing nasty happened to them. I popped them in a pillowcase and tied a knot in it, then just put them in the wash. OUt they came all nice and pink again. Leave them somewhere open to dry naturally, stuffing them with newspaper is the best way as they then keep their shape while they dry.

Then as Tancos said, always take them out of your bag when you get home from dance class and leave them open like that until the next class.

Also, buying some of that Dr Scholls foot antipersperant spray or shoe odor spray is enough to sort out the smell if you don't want to wash them. Talcum powder in the shoe prior to class also works. Not too much otherwise you leave puffs of powder everytime you jump...;)

Jeanette

Regarding your second question...

If your regular classes are not being held during the summer, I see no reason why you can't go to another school to keep in shape during the off-time. I recall there being a thread in the last couple of weeks regarding going to different schools -- I think the consensus was that if you are a beginner student, sticking with the same teacher for a while is a good idea. However, in all other cases, it isn't a problem to go to another school. If I were you, I wouldn't broadcast that info, though.

I agree, you would not be using bad etiquette. I think good, open-minded teachers should encourage students to get a broad variety of training from different teachers. If your teacher is willing to do this, I think it shows great spirit and that he/she is not insecure.

Update on my shoes: I never would have believed that you can wash leather shoes but by golly it works. One of the shoes made a break for freedom from the pillowcase during the wash (note: tie the top) but is none the worse for it, and the pleats look a tad mutated but I think they will flatten out with wear. Nice one Xena, I was washing them in the hope that they would fall to bits (they are quite cheap and thin) and I could get canvas ones, but you have saved me some money ;)

I'm going to go to the basic adults class on Thursday and see how it goes. Still feel strangely guilty, like I'm cheating on my usual teacher :) Next thing you know, I'll be buying her flowers when it's not her birthday ;)

I have used Febreeze (sp)to freshen up smelly ballet slippers and toe pads for pointe shoes.

Oh Beckster don't feel guilty - it totally shows you're keen to keep going through the holidays and I am sure your usual teacher would be happy to see you using your initiative and keeping on with your classes.

It's good to go to a different teacher sometimes anyway, they have different viewpoints and they might pick up on something your other teacher hasn't noticed, or explain something in a different way which makes everything make sense.

Good luck and have fun!

Beckster, dont worry about taking other classes during the summer holiday, the teachers in question would not have a problem with it in fact they would think that it is great that you are keeping it up.

As for the shoes, just treat yourself to new shoes. There is nothing like having a brand new pair espcially canvas split soles.

If i dont see you before have a great summer holiday and see you in September.