Ballet Talk for Dancers
ViolaDancer

Variations in Terminology

ViolaDancer

I am looking to see if there is a source available that compares varying terminology. I know the Cecchetti, RAD, French, and Vaganova schools have similarities and differences and was wondering if there was a source to indicate those related terms and executions of steps/positions.

Moderators - please redirect/delete if needed. I have tried the search function and haven't found what I'm looking for, but it may already exist.

dansair

Get the popcorn!

Miss Persistent

Gail Grant's "Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" often cross references the various syllabi terminology, as does Gretchen Ward Warren's "Classical Ballet Technique". Two books I think should be on every serious dancers' shelf :)

(Plug for Amazon box below if you want to buy either!)

LaFilleSylphide

"Basic principles of classical ballet" doesn't cross reference, but has lovely line drawings that show vaganova methodology. You could compare and contrast between other books of technique and style! Even thoughI was mostly vaganova, I still get super mixed up (especially by pas de poisson) haha!

Redbookish

In addition to the Gail Grant and Gretchen Ward Warren books, I love the book by Maestro Cecchetti. Nowhere near my ballet books at the moment, so can't remember its name.

The thing is, there are long national traditions of ballet, so I'm not sure that one book will encompass them all.

ViolaDancer

Thank you for the book suggestions. I do have Gail Grant's book. I will search for the others as well.

vrsfanatic

Gail Grant is the best for cross reference.

MJ

I swear it is different for each teacher. If you are confused, ask for clarification. I'm not a fan of asking for every movement, like some students do.

American teachers, Russian, French, and RAD all use different terminology. Some teachers don't use any terminology, it slows things down, IMHO.

dennyland
On 2/16/2016 at 6:08 PM, Miss Persistent said:

Gail Grant's "Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" often cross references the various syllabi terminology, as does Gretchen Ward Warren's "Classical Ballet Technique". Two books I think should be on every serious dancers' shelf :)

(Plug for Amazon box below if you want to buy either!)

I found these books used for pennies on the dollar to what Amazon wanted

Redbookish

NB: Just to say, that if Ballet Talk for Dancers members use the Amazon link on this message board, BTfD gets a little bit of income to help towards the costs of running this board!

dennyland

Very cool.  You can count on me for my support