Ballet Talk for Dancers
cosjo

Dance belts

cosjo   
cosjo

Hello!

I have to buy a dance belt and I need some advice by someone who wears them. Which ones are better - thongs or comfort models? Narrow or wide elastic waist? Best brands? And what about sizing - are they measured by waist size? I'm skinny and have a small natural buldge. Since I'll have to buy them online, does anyone knows where I can buy a cheap dance belt?

Sorry for all the questions.

Edited by cosjo

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

Cosjo, if you just type Dance Belts in the search box above, on this form, you will find 2 pages with a number of topics about them. :)

BarreTalk   
BarreTalk

Google has answers to all your questions, whether it's who won the 1952 World Series, or what kind of dance belt to buy (believe it or not, there's an entire website dedicated to them).

theconnman   
theconnman

I can personally say that the thong models with wide elastic waist work the best. They take a couple times to get used to, but I believe that they work the best. As for brand, the one I use is a Capezio. Also, just a tip, you can usually find things for fairly cheap on discount dance. I can't help you with the sizes though. Sorry. Anyway, good luck!

AndrewUK   
AndrewUK

I agree wide waist band best. I use Wear Moi most of the time although do use Capezio as well, I found some year ago now as a starter Wear Moi more comfortable, as the thong part is a little wider than Capezio, comes down to choice, but make sure right size for you. Some makes fit suit the individual person better than others

Reece   
Reece

One of the things I find most frustrating about dancewear in general is that the sizing is very inconsistent. In most menswear things are sized by dimensions (inches or centimeters) but not dancewear. Last time I bought slippers in a local dancewear store I tried on three pairs of supposedly identical slippers and found they were all different sizes.

Fortunately, dance belts are stretchy, so perfect fit isn't as critical. If you get serious about dance you'll likely want to own more than one, so try different styles to see what fits you best.

If you must order online, check their return policies; you may not be able to return a dance belt because of hygiene regulations.

cosjo   
cosjo

I ended up buying a Capezio N5930 Quilted size L because I tried the Capezio N26 size M and it was really tight and felt like I was being cutted in half, but the 5930 size L is too big . I wasn't able to return it so I wear it anyway... I hate buying ballet clothes because I'm really skinny and tall and nothing (tights, dance belts, leotards...) fits right.

GTLS Designs   
GTLS Designs

If you go to www (dot) dancebelt (dot) info, there are some quite extensive reviews on dancebelts. This might be a good place to look for something that accommodates your particular version of body proportions.

silvergreydancer   
silvergreydancer

Cosjo,

Tall and skinny. In order to get the length, you need to go up in size. That makes them too large around. Well at least for tights you can find custom out there. It's pricey but they will cut to length. Yumiko will custom starting at $60.00. MStevens and Bal-tog used to do that. I don't think they do anymore. I've made them myself. It isn't too difficult for an experienced sewer.

MJ   
MJ

Capezio should offer tall versions of the DB, with 1-2 inches extra in the thong.