Ballet Talk for Dancers
Moxie

Colleges that allows multiple performing arts?

Moxie

My son has decided not to pursue a professional ballet career even though he's been told he has excellent prospects by multiple directors (including professional companies). He's decided to go to college instead. He goes to an arts high school and has some training in theatre and voice as well. He's not looking for musical theatre, but hoping to find a college program that will allow him to pursue several performing arts. Is anyone aware of programs that might offer ballet scholarships, but allow one to study multiple disciplines? He's spent so much time in a pre-professional studio that his grades do not match his intellectual abilities. He takes challenging classes, but is a B student. We have several children and absolutely must have excellent scholarships.

kiwiwdancer

Check out Oklahoma City University. DD has a friend there that desires a career in musical theater and her strongest aspect is dance.

vagansmom

Muhlenberg College in Pennsylvania does that. My daughter was offered a ballet scholarship as well as others following an audition there even though the admissions dept. knew her plan was to double-major in neuroscience and ballet. Beautiful performing arts building is featured on campus. She end up dancing rather than pursuing college at that time, and went an entirely different direction after she retired her pointe shoes, but we loved that school. They have a strong commitment to the whole individual and classes are small enough to really enjoy a close relationship with faculty. We've known several ballet dancers who have attended Muhlenberg and they all loved their years there. At the time my daughter was accepted, so was another dancer from her ballet school. She received the same ballet scholarship award as my daughter.

carlyeeeeee

I've heard Point Park University in PA has a good general dance program (ballet, modern, and jazz) and is very well rounded.

Mackie

Definitely look into the University of Arizona. They have a true triple track dance program, and their musical theatre program is highly regarded as well. The scholarship money is excellent for talented dancers, too! My daughter is finishing her first year as a dual major in dance and neuroscience, and they have been very understanding of her busy schedule.

love to see you dance

Western Michigan U has complete Arts program, Dance, Theatre including musical theatre, complete music program as well as visual arts, these departments work well together matching up dancers with composers for projects, also have classes like lighting, vocals for dancers, Dance program is modern/jazz/ballet and can be built to focus on the area one desires, out of about 140 dance majors only about 10 are truly ballet focused. They get great parts in the ballet numbers.

WMU also has a pretty easy process for becoming an in state resident and getting in state tuition, The dance program has a lot of scholarship opportunites as well

Moxie

Thanks everyone! I've added these to our research.

Western MI sounds great. I wonder if they scholarship out of state guys. My son's choral director is a graduate of MI. Sounds like they've got some great arts going on there.

Moxie

Not to mention Western MI has a BS in Sustainable Brewing! Maybe I'll go visit often help with quality control!

love to see you dance

DD is an out of state student at WMU and has gotten a scholarship ( although not huge ) each year. They also have an active Partners in Dance and provide scholarship opportunities for summer intensive to their students.

Moxie

love to see you dance....is she a ballet major? Is she studying anything else at WMU?

I've heard they have a good theatre dept too.

love to see you dance

They have an excellent theatre department, she is in the BFA program, her focus is modern, she still takes a lot of ballet and pointe though. Many of the dance majors double major, everything from athletic training, French, botany etc. My daughter is not double majoring. What I love about their arts programs is that they are interdependent and really work well together. At their winter gala, they had live musicians playing music composed for the number, the arts department used green screen technology to make graphics that played behind the dancers. The dancers get experience in stage management, lighting, events management all within their major.

Although its a mid size campus 25,000, it doesn't feel like its that big. There is an Arts dorm, which has a dance studio, practice rooms and art studio rooms for the students to use

Moxie

My oldest son went to UNCSA for ballet, but was also a classical guitarist. He was not allowed to play guitar! Rules against playing in dorms and practice rooms only for musicians. That kind of thing really does not work for my boys. They need to be able to experience different things. Sounds like WMU might be a good match.

vagansmom

That's really nuts, Moxie, and goes against almost everything I know as an educator.

Moxie

Indeed!

Moxie

Well, we visited Muhlenburg, Point Park and Elon. I think the problem will be that he is at a high level of ballet at age 16 and some programs we looked at he's already at their highest. He'll be training for 2 more years so I'm not sure how that might work out.

The hard part is finding college you like with high enough levels. He did really like Muhlenberg. I think Pittsburgh was a bit of culture shock being in a city.

I wish he could take a year off just to look at programs.