2016/17 College Congrats for the Ballet Trained

sheahuang   
sheahuang

Main/Most recent training:
 small local ballet studio and many SIs
Level of school completed: high school senior/graduate
Audition method: on site audition
School attending: University of Arizona Dance BFA
Position process/progress: graduating high school. Also received dance merit award and academic scholarship

Advice: We did attend the last audition because of scheduling conflicts and in the case of Arizona, it doesn't hurt ones chances. In fact we were told that the earlier auditioners were given some "maybes" pending the outcome of the last audition. We also waited the shortest amount of time for results.

BT4D forums were a huge help in wading through this whole process. I second what Pavlova said, I definitely felt like I was very educated and knowledgeable going into this whole process. We are ready to pay it forward!

laurelballet   
laurelballet

Main/Most recent training: 12 years at a ballet school based on Cechetti training. 2 years at a pre-pro studio that included training in jazz, contemporary, modern and ballet.  Ballet training was classical and Balanchine based.  She was lucky enough to be the lead in Valse Fantasies last summer that was set by a Balanchine Trust representative.  Switching schools (her new school is over an hour away) was a hard decision but the best decision she has ever made.

Level of School Completed: high school graduate (soon!)

Audition Method: on site

School Attending: Butler University - Major - Dance/Arts Administration in the fall of 2017!

ddegaray   
ddegaray

Main/Most recent training: Small Local School - 6 years vagonova based training with character training and recently switched senior year to classical based training which also included jazz, hip hop, contemporary and character training

Level of school completed: high school grad (in a week)

Audition method: on site

School attending: Butler University - Dance Performance Major

Position process/progress: graduating public high school

Advice:  Cast a wide net.  The schools I thought she would get into she did not and the schools that I thought she had no chance at she got into.  (some of that may be due to the duration at the newer dance studio at the time of the audition)  Selection can be subjective and it is hard to make heads or tails of what they are looking for.

learning.a.lot   
learning.a.lot

Congratulations to you and your dancers!!!  Wonderful!

marigold   
marigold

Congratulations to you all,  sheahuang, laurelballet and ddegaray!  :flowers::clapping:

workmail   
workmail

Main/Most recent training: large private RDA studio with performance competition companies (did not do competition) - a lot of diverse training options at this place, but strong after-school ballet training by top professionals and choreographers in the area - medium sized city. She studied and rehearsed 7 days per week the last few years and attended summer intensives that were strong regional ones but not the 3 letter ones. She was also in her high school dance company. 

Level of school completed: public high school grad this June

Audition method: SI audition +  college dance program audition

School attending: Virginia Commonwealth University joint BFA program with the Richmond Ballet Trainee Program

Position process/progress: My daughter traveled to 3 auditions - 1 in our state and 2 in neighboring states - accepted at 2 out of 3. She sent a video to 3 public university programs and got into 2 out of 3. She pursued the path of large public universities with some form of strong ballet programs. She also tried for top private universities with strong academics and available ballet/dance like Duke, Northwestern which she got into and a couple other reaches she did not get into. She sent arts supplements to those private universities. She got a large academic scholarship to the public universities (including the one she chose) but none for the private universities and no scholarships related to dance. Attended the Richmond summer intensive last year. 

Mobadt   
Mobadt

Main/Most recent training:
 Local RDA member ballet studio and yearly SIs for the past 6 years
Level of school completed: high school senior - has attended online cyber school for the last 3 years
Audition method: Audition tour for Point Park that came to our city
School attending: Point Park University/Conservatory of Performing Arts - BFA Dance Major
Position process/progress: graduating high school in a few more days!!! Received dance merit scholarship

Advice: Believe in your dancer's ability to access their own journey. I am so so proud of my DD and the decisions she has made to get to this decision. I see she has a clear idea of what she wants her journey to be and is certainly blazing her own trail. I know now that she will be able to accomplish whatever she sets her mind to, and has the resolve to make her own way. :party:

learning.a.lot   
learning.a.lot

Congratulations????Mobadt to you and your gorgeous daughter!!  May you have many opportunities to see her dance!!  All the best to her!!! ??

cammies   
cammies

Congratulations, Workmail and Mobadt! How exciting for your girls!!

cmalltheway   
cmalltheway

congrats to all and to sheahuang! I'm also a mom of a male dancer and about to embark on this application journey!