Ballet Talk for Dancers
LisaRG

Corrections

DanceMumNYC

Do you mind sharing (or PMing me) the Pilates studio? I know some dance studios offer it, but if not, I find it difficult to find a Pilates instructor willing to work with younger children.

DanceDaddy

AB's Mom. hmmm... last night, no. But, let's see what happens at next class.

learningdance

Honestly, I think that it's not a good idea to get a drink of water or zone out when receiving a personal correction.  I would tell my child not to do that. To me that is akin to not making eye contact when a person asks you a question. It sends a message that is not intended. And ballet is a kind of  pretentious, rule-governed art form.  Teachers will often make judgements about these kind of responses but never directly tell the child. Doing these things when the combination is being set or something else, it might not be a problem. But it's not good politics, IMO.  Teachers feel free to disagree or weigh in. 

DanceDaddy

Oh, my dd has been talked to about getting a drink at that point.

LisaRG

HI AB.  Not sure as we are not allowed anywhere near the studios except during observation.  Yes I could see that she was leaning into her gran plié to compensate for her hips being tight.  All puberty.  She never had that problem before.  Her pilates has helped, and now she is working on her muscles behind her thighs, and ankle strength and arch support.  Its a laundry list that wasnt noticed last year when she was promoted.  I'm sure its puberty.  According to a leading medical article puberty tightens the hip, becasue the bones are growing but tendons ate not.  My daughters legs are so long now.  All her pants are up to above the ankle.  The spine does not grow as fast as the legs either so dancer lose their flexibility, and  balance.  But their bodie eventually catch up.  Thats good news 

DanceDaddy

LisaRG - I kinda hijacked your post. Sorry!

AB'sMom

We also only get to observe once per semester. I honestly think it helps with parental sanity. My daughter always makes eye contact when being spoken to directly, but I did talk to her about how her lack of eye contact when the teacher is speaking to the class as a whole could be perceived as not paying attention. She is a very respectful kid and picks up combinations quickly, so her teachers know that she is listening and applying what they say. It is something I worry about more when she is at a summer program or in a master class with a teacher that doesn't know her. I guess I was thinking that DanceDaddy's daughter was getting a drink after getting the correction and not immediately trying to apply it. I would agree that getting a drink while getting a correction seems less like letting the correction sink in and more like disregarding it. Perceptions do matter a lot in ballet.

Lisa RG--so many of my daughter's friends are in that stage. My daughter will be 13 this month, but she's a slow grower so it hasn't hit her as hard yet. I hope the teachers are understanding about what they are going through right now.

DanceDaddy

Truthfully, I don't know! I just know that I want it to stop. If she's getting a correction, then she needs to list, ask any questions, and apply it.

LisaRG

No problem Dance daddy.  We are here to support each other,

LisaRG

AB's mom - thanks.  I never dreamed how overwhelming, demanding and at times discouraging the ballet world is.  I just wanted my dd to dance.  When she was 3 years old it was the only place that she felt comfortable around other children.  She felt safe.  And she followed her teachers step by step as if she'd finally found her way home.  Those days were hard when she was so little and so afraid - baby ballet led to more and better studios and she never resisted - it was a natural progression.   I still know she feels at home in a ballet studio.  That is one reason, as a parent, I cant let go.