Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet6Life

Questions About Missing Classes

Ballet6Life

I take five days of dance a week, and usually I have a good attendance. Last year I only missed once or twice, but in the last month I have missed five classes. Two of the absences were from mandatory school events, and the other two were from being sick with fever. Last Friday during class I fell and broke my fractured, and I had to miss class on Saturday to get an x-ray. Will the teachers think less of me for missing so many classes? I'm also worried that my technique will fall behind. Any ideas?

Victoria Leigh

A bit more information is needed here, Ballet6Life. You said you "....fell and broke my fractured....". What did you break? How long will you be not able to dance?

Missing classes when you are sick happens to everyone, and teachers who work with teens know that they sometimes have mandatory school events. They are not going to think less of you for that, or for being sick or injured. However, when injured, you should still attend classes and watch and take notes. You can learn a lot that way, and most teachers require that you do that.

As to falling behind, that happens, and there is nothing you can do about it except get yourself healed, do your therapy, and get back into classes slowly and carefully. It will take time, but it is totally doable. Use the time to learn as much as you can about your art form. Read! Watch professional companies on You Tube. Study the dancers in your class and learn from things they do well and from things that they don't do well. See if you can figure out why they are not doing something well. You might want to teach someday! :)