Ballet Talk for Dancers
dance-and-skate

Formally saying "Hello".

dance-and-skate   
dance-and-skate

Hello, wonderful people on BT4D community!

I realized I had not introduced myself here, but jumped right in to asking questions and many people have already helped me so much!  My 15 year old son dances, and just announced to us that he wants to be a professional ballet dancer.  Even though he's been dancing at this pre-pro school, only because it was close by, I thought of his ballet as an excellent after school activity but not as his career choice.  I'm not excited about it yet, but I will support him in his pursuit of his dream (scary!).  So thank you for being here!

"Parents of Boys" have been extremely helpful already, and I'm sure I'll be going there frequently!

Edited by GTLS Designs
Fixed Paragraphs

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

Thank you for introducing yourself, dance-and-skate!  The dream is scary, but, it is great that you are supporting your son, and also that you are finding our site helpful already! 

DoubtfulGuest   
DoubtfulGuest

Hi dance-and-skate! 

I'm just popping in to say you are not alone finding the dream scary. My daughter (though only 9, so this probably sounds ridiculous, but this is her 7th year of dance) just revealed her long-held dream, too. I've been preparing myself for the possibility for several years -- having had my own parents discourage my calling to be a teacher, I couldn't fathom being the parent who doesn't support a kid in their aspirations, but it took a while for me to get there.

There was a day last year where I was suddenly, and quite magically, OK. Part of it had to do with an outside opinion, but another part of it was just allowing DD's joy to really wash over me. Everyone still needs a Plan B, and she may yet change her mind -- but there is a real sense of peace that comes from feeling like you're on the same page as your kid. Every path worth pursuing is a hard one, but when you think about how much hard work our kids put in without a second thought... It's deeply inspiring.

All the best! 

dance-and-skate   
dance-and-skate

Thank you.  It's been an eye opener to reflect on my values all over again. I think I've grown a bit protective and conservative as I became a parent.  The first thing we did as parents, when my DS announced his aspiration to become a professional ballet dancer was to show him the average salary of that vocation (various online searches) .  It's not much!  Well, he knew that anyway.  

All the best to you, too!

Edited by GTLS Designs
Fixed Paragraphs