Ballet Talk for Dancers
  • Announcements

• Helene

2018 Joint Fundraiser for Ballet Talk for Dancers and Ballet Alert!   02/03/2018

We have launched our 2018 Fundraiser.  To donate, please see the instructions on our home page for checks (US dollars only) and credit card donations via PayPal.  We close the fundraiser as soon as we raise enough to sustain us for the next year, and we thank you for your support!
Pointeandpuppies

Best Foam Rollers for Dancers

Pointeandpuppies

Hello!

I was wondering how important foam rollers are for young dancers. Also, which type is the best? I have seen solid foam ones, and hollow ones with only foam on the outer most layer.  I am not sure I understand the differences between the two.

thank you! :)

Victoria Leigh

Pointeandpuppies, I am not really familiar with using foam rollers myself, so I am just responding  to open the topic so that others who might have the information you need can respond. :) 

aspirant_dancer

I use my Trigger Point Therapy GRID foam roller (13 inch size) before class to help gently wake up my legs and roll out any stiffness. I also use it on my TFLs (look up a youtube video tutorial before trying it) and quads to roll out any knots after class when I'm warm. I typically use this roller on my larger muscle groups, such as my hamstrings, quads, and glutes.

Usually, I prefer to use a small ball or my massage stick for my calves, but for light muscle massage I will use this roller on my calves, too. I also like to horizontally place this foam roller underneath my upper back (lying down) and carefully roll out any tight spots, but my PT told me it isn't a good idea to use it on your lower back. You can order the roller on their website, but it is available for much cheaper on Amazon.

I have also heard really positive things about the Rumble Roller, but I have no experience using it. The Rumble Roller is also available on Amazon. Overall, I personally have benefitted from rolling out my muscles, and so have many of my friends who do the same. Just make sure you look for a video on how to properly roll out your targeted muscle/muscle group or see a PT before using a foam roller so you don't injure yourself. I hope this helps!

spetedancer

At one of my previous studios we had the foam rollers that weren't hollow, and now I use the Trigger Point hollow ones. Personally, I find both to be perfectly fine, but for me the Trigger Point one is a bit harder (which I prefer). Also I find that the hollow rollers are just overall easier to carry/pack. Rolling out definitely helps me sort of cool down if I have a sore muscle after a day of dancing. I will also sometimes roll out my glutes or hips using a tennis ball or a pinky ball because they get a little deeper into the muscle.

pirouettegirl123

I have a solid rumble roller with spikes. I love it!

Ballerina_Author

I use a regular foam roller from a sporting goods store.  I love it, it works, it is good enough for me.  However, it is a bit large, which presents a trouble carrying it or being able to stuff it into my bag.