Ballet Talk for Dancers
pavlov

Watching a movie in dance class?

pavlov   
pavlov

My child is 8 and attends a dance class at a very expensive ballet school. Given the cost of the classes, it is important to me that she gets good instruction. She informed me that next class, the teacher is going to let them watch a movie. It's a movie about ballet, on topic of course, but  I am not okay with this because I pay for her to receive instruction. If the teacher wants to recommend movies, she could give us a list of movies and we could watch them in our free time. I'm not sure whether to say something about this but I'm not happy with it.

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

Ballet videos can be a valid teaching tool, if used properly, to show the children some of the work they are learning. It depends on what video she is using, how long it is, and why she is doing it. It is possible that she is still teaching most of the class, and just using a small amount of time to show something that she thinks will help them.  I would not react until you find out exactly what the film is and why it was used.  

pavlov   
pavlov

If the video lasts for most of the class and the teacher walks out of the room, I won't consider that to be actual instruction time.

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

I understand that, pavlov. But find out first! :)

meatball77   
meatball77

Is it basically a party day?  It's not unusual for that to happen once or twice a year.  Telling the kids a head of time means that you can skip class with no guilt if your child would rather hang out with friends or at home.

pavlov   
pavlov

I pay for instruction time, though, not parties or movies. This dance school charges more than any other in the city. They raised tuition 25% this year. The class is also on a Monday night, and since several holidays fall on a Monday, that means the school wasn't open for class those days. We aren't really getting our money's worth here. They need to justify the high tuition that we pay. They can't operate just like any other dance school, because they are very expensive.

Edited by dancemaven
Removed full quote of immediately preceding post.

Sonatina   
Sonatina

I have never heard of "party days" during class time. We've had an instructor show a short video clip of a ballet the class was learning, but it was strictly instructional. If there is no class due to a holiday, my DDs are allowed to make those classes up on another day. Some parents even ask for a prorated tuition if there is more than 1 holiday in the month. Good luck!

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

Pavlov, your profile states your gender as male and your interest ballet as dancer. Please correct this to read parent of dancer, or dancer and parent of dancer.  Thank you.

pavlov   
pavlov

Our school doesn't allow make up classes for holidays. Including Halloween, I think we've had five classes this year that fell on a holiday or during a holiday week. (Week of Christmas and Thanksgiving). So we just lose them, there are no make ups. No pro-rated tuition is offered, either. The class is 45 min long, once a week, and cost $105 a month.

Oh, edited to add: this will be her last year at this studio, I am switching her to a different place starting in the fall.

Edited by pavlov