Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Ballet Day

RDA National Festival 2017

Ballet Day   
Ballet Day

Are there no awards for honor companies at national festival?

Kathleen Sinclair   
Kathleen Sinclair

Ballet Day

As a member of the Pacific we do keep our evaluation process and award honor company status in a National Festival year. None of the other regions chose to do this as their system of evaluation based what evening/show their work is placed at Festival. This NF did not include a 'gala' or best of the best show so they opt out of this evaluation. Because the Pacific region's adjudicator couldn't not be at the Festival due to health Jeffrye Gribler didn't do the final evaluations in time for announcement at the banquet. His replacement at the performances will be giving feedback and then Mr. Gribler will make his final accessment (he DID get to watch the live streaming of each RDA/P company).

lakemom   
lakemom

Does anyone have specifics of scholarship amounts at the festival?  Also, my understanding is that the student would have already been accepted to a summer intensive in order to receive a scholarship to that intensive?  Are the college scholarships substantial (over $1000)?  If you have details about a specific region, I would be interested in Midstates.  Thank you for any information.  

jwolfenden   
jwolfenden

It was my understanding that there was a few intensives that you had to be accepted to (San Francisco and PNB) before the audition to be considered. Results of the scholarship class were not all announced at the Gala. The rest of the results will be mailed to the Artistic Directors w/i two weeks. The list that the dancers were given to select the scholarships and rank their preference had a lot of details regarding amount and actual cost of the intensive and if it was a partial scholarship or not.

Temps de cuisse   
Temps de cuisse

The scholarship form that dancers submitted had all the parameters for the summer programs. Most were not announced at the Gala Banquet but results are to be given to your artistic director this week?

In the past college recruiters give letters that include: encouraged to apply, admitted to Dance Department contingent on academic acceptance, or actual scholarship offers with admittance. I have had some students receive up to $3500 in college scholarships from the RDA festival. Your AD should have picked up their companies college/university letters/packets at the banquet.

lakemom   
lakemom

Thank you for the information!

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

I heard that scholarships are not given out until the company has competed at least one timbe before.  In other words, 1st time competitors are not eligible for scholarships.  Is this true?

GTLS Designs   
GTLS Designs

Lady Elle, Regional Dance America is not a competition.  In order to participate in a RDA Festival a student company must go through an application process which includes video evaluations, onsite class evaluations, and review of 501c3 status.  Once the basic standards are met, said student company will go through an additional multi-year process to become full members (which includes being adjudicated by a prominent ballet professional hired by the region); during this time the student company is not permitted to attend the scholarship auditions.