Ballet Talk for Dancers
ZsaZsa

Studio quandary - stay or switch?

ZsaZsa   
ZsaZsa

Hi Monet, She likes her current studio, although she does complain about one teacher. She's not asking to leave. There's a part of me that thinks we should explore other/better places early on, so she can find the best fit for the long term. Another part of me thinks, "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

Monet   
Monet

Hello Zsazsa, I would say maybe ask your daughter what she thinks.  If she is in no hurry to leave then I would keep her where she is.  There may come a time when she wants or needs to leave ( and maybe that is now).  Luckily she is only 8 and has tons of time.  The last thing you want to do is feel like you need to rush things.  Trust me there is so much time for that.  At 8 she has to be happy and enjoy going to class to even want to keep dancing!  Best of luck with your decision.?

ZsaZsa   
ZsaZsa

Thanks, Monet! This board has helped me think through the quandary and keep things in perspective. I appreciate everyone's responses!

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

My DD left her dance studio to attend ballet school at age 8. I think it's okay to try different schools before your child reaches the pre-professional age in order to find the right fit and fundamental training. It was hard to leave after 4 years, but children are resilient and my DD now loves her new school as much as the old one. I think summers are ideal for trying out other schools through drop-in classes, workshops, and intensives. 

Also, ZsaZsa, upon switching studios, my DD began having ballet exams as well. I believe exams are given in schools that strictly teach classical ballet. 

ZsaZsa   
ZsaZsa

Thanks, DanceMumNYC. My daughter did a week-long workshop at the new studio this summer and really enjoyed it -- but she says she still wants to go back to the old studio this fall. I've decided it's fine to have her continue at her old studio for now, and switch later on if she wants to become more serious. It's good to know the new place is available, with the appropriate flooring etc., and that she can take summer workshops there as well. 

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

Yes, that's a great idea! My DD also trains at another studio during the summer and I love knowing that they're always available in case she ever has to switch ballet schools for any reason.