DanceMumNYC

Ballet Schools in New York - New York City

10 posts in this topic

I thought it would be helpful to start a thread specifically for NYC, since the other NY locations listed are far from those of us in the city, and we have great schools such as SAB, ABT JKO, and BAE. 

Many of these more well-known schools schools will have their own dedicated threads in the Pre-professional/Residency School Forum, so be sure to check there, as well, as anything more than a general comment about these schools will be found on those threads. 😉👍

Thank you!

Also MYB, French Academie, Ellison, SLK, Valentina Kozlova, Fabrice Herrault"s private classes, Ailey, Steps, and a few others that I know I am missing! 

Oh and Gelsey Kirkland in Brooklyn.

Yes! These are all great schools. My DD is too young for some, but eventually I'd love for her to take summer intensives to experience all they have to offer.

Do you know how old a student has to be to audition for FAB? I couldn't find anything regarding ages & class schedules on their website. 

DanceMumNYC

On FAB's website it looks like the minimum age is 11. I would also like to add that Erin Forrest is starting her own school this year (Forrest Academy of Ballet). She has an amazing reputation and it looks like the dancers will be given a lot of personal attention due to the small class sizes.

I remembered the other school I couldn't remember when I posted above- Premiere Division is another small program run by Nadege Hottier who previously worked with Francois Perone at the French Academie of Ballet. 

There are many wonderful teachers and schools in NYC who turn out beautiful dancers.It's a matter of finding the right fit at the right time.  

Thanks MelissaGA. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of talent in NYC. There are so many training options that it's hard to decide which school or teacher to move forward with. I've decided to let DD take summer classes at other schools for the experience, but it is hard to determine if that school is a better fit in just a few short weeks.

As your daughter becomes older and more experienced, she will know. Dd auditioned at a few places but knew where she should be with just one class. There was another she liked, but the connection or "x factor" was just not as strong and would have been an even longer commute, something you needed to take into account almost anywhere you look. It sounds as if your DD is young, so find the place that fits her best for now. Keep your eyes and ears open and if there's a place that fits her needs better later on, she can switch. 

Thanks again, MelissaGA. I am definitely following that advice! B)