Ballet Talk for Dancers
Plume

Help me name this step

Plume   
Plume

Hello,

I am looking for the name of a step so the title of the topic would be the same.

I try to describe: in effacé, battement jeté front (45°); in that position: relevé on half point, 1/2 (or 1/4 I am not sure anymore) turn en dedans; then still on half point: rise the leg which was at 45° to 90° front and fouetté to end in arabesque; with a circular move of the arms.

Is there a name for the whole step?

I have seen this step in an SI and I would not ask at that time.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Plume

Redbookish   
Redbookish

Hmmmm  Can you find a video of the step? That might help. 

It could be an Italian fouetté?

YouTube video of Italian fouettés

Plume   
Plume

Thank you for your answer and the video.

Sorry, I do not have a video of the step and I do not know where it could come from.

I do not think it is an Italian fouetté: there was not any brushing through 1st position before the fouetté.

It was more like half turn with one leg at 45° front directly followed by half turn of the upper body at the end (so ending in arabesque), but I am not sure if it is a turn or a balance step.

vrsfanatic   
vrsfanatic

You are describing two steps put together. By any chance is your teacher of a Russian based influence?

The 1st step is a 1/2 turn en dedans at 45 or 90 degrees followed by a fouette with the leg held at 45 or 90 degrees. The arms can have various usages and design. Your description seems to be the basic most common form.

Redbookish   
Redbookish

It sounds a bit as though it has the dynamic of a renversé but as you describe it,  it's not a reneversé.

VRS is the expert on Vaganova/russian style, so I'd follow her knowledge.

Plume   
Plume

Thank you for your help Ms. Redbookish and Ms. vrsfanatic.

I do not think the teacher was originally from a russian style but he may have known it. I have had only one class with this teacher, we had different teachers giving the classes and none of them was a regular one of mine. Sorry, I cannot be sure.

It was all linked like a renversé but en dedans. I had never seen these steps together before and given that there was no break between the turn and the fouetté, I thought it might be a new step. It seemed pretty unusual at first not to go through the 1st position before the fouetté - or even on a flat foot -, is it a usual combination in a russian style?

vrsfanatic   
vrsfanatic

If there was no break than it is not what I have described.

Could it be a grand fouette en dedans from pose to pose? What direction did the movement face in the beginning? Are you able to describe it from corner to corner saying exactly when the fouette began using terminology including epaulement? 

I am quite curious.

Doubleturn   
Doubleturn

I have been wondering this too, whether it is a grand fouetté like in some versions of the Lilac Fairy's variation?

Doubleturn   
Doubleturn

Lilac Fairy excerpts

Here is an edited short film of Claire Calvert dancing Lilac Fairy for British Royal Ballet.  The grand fouetté sequence is at approx. 0.40.  Is this the step?

Plume   
Plume

Thank you Mrs. vrsfanatic and Mrs. Doubleturn for your answers and the video.

I have looked at the excerpts and it is very close to the step.

I may try to describe it more in details but not with the arms: face to the corner 2, left foot front, left foot battement jeté devant, turn en dedans (to the right) with the left foot at 45° devant and right foot in demi-pointe until the corner 4, between the corner 4 and 5 the turn goes on but the left leg rises to 90°, (fouetté --> ) at the direction 5 half turn of the upper body to end facing to the direction 1 (left leg in arabesque direction 5), after that the right foot goes down completely on the floor (not in demi-pointe anymore [flat?]).

That is how I have understood the step.

It seems to me that during the variation she turns on pointe when she is doing the fouetté, whereas in the step we were turning in demi-pointe before. Would it be the same step?

Maybe was it a choreographic step?

vrsfanatic   
vrsfanatic

May I ask you what system of numbers are you using. They do not make sense for Vaganova schooling. By looking at the link, I think you may be talking about Grand Fouette Entournant en dedans from pose to pose.

Plume   
Plume

Thank you again vrsfanatic.

I have used the system from Vaganova but I know it is unusual to do a step from back to front to end in front of the mirror. I am sorry I cannot explain the step better.

It is very close to the step of the video but what do you mean by pose to pose?

vrsfanatic   
vrsfanatic

It actually is not unusual to do a step from "back to front". It happens all the time in choreography, particularly with a step like this. From pose to pose simply means, from croise front to efface attitude back or efface front to arabesque or alla seconde to arabesque.

Doubleturn   
Doubleturn

My Russian teacher always said that in class it was normal to reverse everything, even steps that would never be presented on stage in that form.

vrsfanatic   
vrsfanatic

Yes, everything must be reversed. 😊