Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Kini

Overheard in the hallway

Kini

Summer maintenance classes are winding down and there is already talk of December's Nutcracker performances. Unfortunately I overheard the AD at my studio tell one of the instructors that I am too old for any role but party parent while I was warming up in an adjacent room. Ouch!

I have about a month before I will probably be presented with the roll that I have done for the last 5 years. What is a polite way of saying no that won't delve into details?

AncientDancer

"I am sorry, but this year I have too much going on and can't devote the time to rehearse and perform. Thank you for the opportunity, though."

Kini
On 8/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, AncientDancer said:

"I am sorry, but this year I have too much going on and can't devote the time to rehearse and perform. Thank you for the opportunity, though."

Many thanks!

AncientDancer

Further, if you are asked for details, you can say, "it's complicated."

Clara 76

A conversation such as that should not have taken place in any public area. I am sorry that your feelings are hurt, and quite honestly, they should be made aware that one never knows who is listening. It's a necessary lesson for those in the Arts. There are stories from the years of times when audience members were discussing a ballerina's performance in an elevator and she happened to be on that same elevator, overheard them, and gave them a dressing down. 

I could go on, but it is your choice how you take this information. If your production typically features dancers of all ages, then that is one thing. If however, it is mainly a "student", i.e. 18 and under production, then you could take it with a grain of salt because almost anyone over the age of 30 might look out of place in such a production. 

However you choose to handle it, you could make the AD aware that he/she might want to be more discreet when having these types of discussions. 

jane s

Reminds me of the first adult ballet class I attended. After one class (where we had been doing the cygnets dance) I overheard the teacher mocking us and saying how silly we clumsy adult beginners looked trying to do it.

I never went back to that class.

Kini

Clara 76 I agree this discussion should never have occurred where any student could have overheard and to be fair I had arrived to to the studio early and was using a free floor to warm up in and no one knew I was there.   I'm at a pre pro school and all major roles and corps are filled out by the students and the female adults are used to fill out the corps from time to time. Being an older male there really isn't anything available to me and I understand that, it just stung to hear it.

jane s, in my mind that kind of attitude from any instructor is unacceptable and probably should have been taken to the owner or artistic director ,if there was one. Hope you found a new location that was more respectful of adults.