lizzyhults1

feeling overwhelmed -sure I'm not alone

4 posts in this topic

Our DD is entering her senior year and we are starting the process for applications for conservatories and university dance programs. DD has her list of schools she is interested in so that helps but it is still overwhelming. With college tours then application deadlines before or in conjunction with the application to the dance programs, videos required and the prospect of live auditions. While completing high school and keeping up with dance training. Many programs she is most interested in take 10% or less of applicants. I am getting advice left and right from parents with kids going off to college but they do not understand the whole dance process. 

I am not complaining, just wanted to express that i am sure others are feeling this way. We are taking things one step at a time and making a plan of action. 

I am right there with you. :3dnod:

Went through all this last year.  My best advice is to get all university apps in in the next couple weeks.  This takes one thing off the plate and the early apps get early responses. had some 24 hours later (for academics, dance departments will have to wait until audition)!  Try and do auditions in the fall, because you may not get in first go round and be offered a second audition in spring.  Having at least one yes before xmas is a godsend for both students and the parents!  Also, realize that this process is important and if you miss a Nutcracker rehearsal, you miss one.  Don't let studio pressure force you into sabotaging your child's future.  I took a lot of red eye flights the night before audition and early morning outs to get back for home studio rehearsals.  Fly Southwest if you can.  Free bags and no fees to change flights.  Hope this helps.

This is great advise! The essays and SAT's are whats going to take the longest. (She is retaking SAT's later in august. Took them last the weekend of the ballet recital)  And getting teacher, both dance and academic, letters of recommendations. We are not finding many fall auditions. Some schedules are not even out yet. 

I will look into southwest air. I am not sure if that is an option. We usually fly Alaska because my husband has status so i am not sure what is offered where we are. The cost of traveling to all these alone is overwhelming. We did a few tours but decided most will have to wait for the audiiton times. 

Is it ok to ask what your DD applied to? (maybe private message?)