Ballet Talk for Dancers
nynydancer

Panic, help. Independent study might be the only option.

nynydancer

Help, I am freaking out.  My 12 year old DD had a pretty nice schedule arranged with the school district.  5 classes instead of 6 and no PE.  The school district is now backtracking.  We are in the second week of school.  DD was super super super jazzed about her teachers and classes, which included some accelerated courses.

The ballet school had built a coaching schedule around my DD's school schedule, in fact, everyone's.  It was a lot of work.  I have of course set up all of my carpools with other dance parents, and worked out our schedules too.

The principal of her middle school is very sorry and sympathetic, but it looks like we are going to have to decide.  I think what happened was the independent study people at the district got wind of this arrangement and made a fuss.  I am not sure.  

So options are:

Full time independent study program with the school district, which I was resisting because I am also a single, working mom and I think it's just too lonely for her, even though she is definitely smart enough to handle the work.  I could work from home part of the time.

OR

Stay at the school full time, give up the ballet coaching, which honestly is the only way the school separates their prepro from their rec dancers.  Prepro kids do coaching plus reg ballet classes.

It's a terrible choice and she is torn.  She is leaning full time independent.

IS full time independent study really crazy for a 12 year old?  Would I be a horrible mom if I let her do that?? 

cammies

Wow, this must be so hard! 

I guess my quick thoughts would be is there another place she can get quality training? If you have to stay at that studio because it is the best in your area, are the ballet classes alone at her current studio enough (now and for what they offer as the kids progress into upper levels )on track to pursue professional dancing, as per the age-appropriate training guidelines pinned at the top of the forum, or does she really need the prepro track? If they are not enough or won't be enough quality training in a couple of years, to me it seems drastic to pull her out of regular school when you will have to make a change of studios later anyway. 

At the young age of 12, if there is another way to get her the right training per this site, then keeping her in regular school as long as possible would seem to be the best goal, especially given that so much can happen between 12 and starting a career, and having plans B and C seem to be an often-recommended part of helping all our dancers on their journeys. 

ballet1310

Hi -   that's tough...   but 12 is still young  so that's really good :) .. - is there any way the school will let her take some classes in school and some independently?  From experience, home study is much harder than most people think and being on top of them constantly is part of it , motivated and smart or not, it is very difficult and my advice ( which is also the advice given to me)  is to keep them in regular school for as long as possible and then transition to online or homeschooling if dancer gets to the point of really wanting to be a professional.    Get all the hours you can in at the studio , and maybe coaching on a Saturday ?  Hope this helps !!

Monet

At 12 I would not give up her schooling especially with how excited about her classes and teachers just for some extra coaching.  Independent study is not easy and and I would not recommend it unless you would be available at the house with her, it would be different if she was older or if it was something she had done for years already.  I know it is difficult to know what is best but I always like to remind myself that I am raising a person not just a dancer.  Best of luck!!!

L_One

Independent study is difficult, even with the most focused, determined and intelligent child. It's difficult even with a full-time caregiver around to help keep her on task and answer any questions that come up. Honestly, at 12, I wouldn't pull her out of school if the only educational alternative is independent study. I'm sorry you're facing such a tough decision, good luck!

learningdance
On 8/21/2017 at 8:31 PM, nynydancer said:

Stay at the school full time, give up the ballet coaching, which honestly is the only way the school separates their prepro from their rec dancers.  Prepro kids do coaching plus reg ballet classes.

It's a terrible choice and she is torn.  She is leaning full time independent.

IS full time independent study really crazy for a 12 year old?  Would I be a horrible mom if I let her do that?? 

I don't think at 12, with a mom who works, independent study is a good idea. And also,  at 12, it's not her decision at all.  It's yours as an adult guardian who has maturity and perspective that she does not. 

Something that strikes me as odd is this piece about pre pro students getting coaching and that being the distinguishing characteristic of the pre pro program.  Is that coaching for competition? If so, well I don't know that it should be the case that coaching is the distinguishing characteristic of a pre pro program.

If I am misunderstanding what "coaching" is, I would just tell the ballet school that another time would have to be found for coaching.  I am assuming that you are paying coaching fees, which are substantial and it would seem to me that they would accommodate you especially since you tried to figure things out.

Noodles

I have a 13+ dancer who has done independent study for two years. Where we live there is a difference between independent study and online schooling. In our area there is a brick and mortar school that is an independent study program. Students attend their core academic classes one time per week for instruction and do all of their work at home. In this way of schooling there is teacher student interactions and the teachers hold their students accountable. Online education requires much more maturity and diligence. Perhaps at 12 you can find a similar version to independent study that we found. It is though our public school system. 

Good Luck!

threegirlpileup

What does your daughter want to do?

We are longtime homeschoolers, so that colors my perspective.  I'd just put out there that (depending on where you live), there are likely options for classes, co-ops, and park days so your dd isn't home by herself every day.  If I were considering pulling my kid from school, I would definitely investigate the local homeschooling community and resources.  

Best of luck to you and your dd!