Ballet Talk for Dancers
BoyDanceMom111

Books for a young reader

BoyDanceMom111

Has anyone found any good, rather entry-level story books that feature boy dancers?  My boy is in 2nd grade but probably reads more like at a first grade level (lots of pictures, maybe 3-5 sentences per page is a good level; 6-8 sentences per page is a stretch but do-able).  I did a quick google search and did turn some up that we can request from the library but every description I read was like "Oliver is a sissy" or "Nate is teased by his dad" or something along those lines.  While my boy has experienced a little teasing at school, I would love at least one book that present boys dancing as just completely normal. Not sure I am making sense, or what I want even exists....but I'd love to find a book about a boy who loves to dance and THAT is the focus, rather than the focus being on how his dad is mean, or his friends bully him.  

5uptown

There was a cool book my daughter took out of the library about the three dancing brothers that started the San Francisco ballet called "The nutcracker comes to America"-- sounds like it would be a read aloud still for your son but it was an interesting story aimed at younger kids.

5uptown

Also the little golden book called "I am a ballerina" is not about a boy, but does depict a male student (in typical male uniform) in her class.

5uptown

There is also a book called "dance" which is mostly photographs of Bill T Jones (and adult male dancer and choreographer).

BoyDanceMom111

Thank you!  I'll check them out!