Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mimi-wimi

Difficulty in finding the right ballet shoes, please help?

Mimi-wimi

Hello everyone, so I started ballet in January 2017 and I have been finding it difficult to find the right ballet shoes.

I'm an adult performing arts student so I do a variety of things i.e. theatre acting, contemporary dance, singing, and voice acting. However, after those classes I take ballet classes and I also do rhythmic gymnastics.

I have already gone through 5 pairs of Bloch split sole canvas ballet shoes already (different types too).

I recently tried MDM intrinsic reflex ballet shoes as I have a type of flat foot called flexible flat foot and it has an arch support. (When standing the arch isn't visible for me but when I am on my tip toes I have a high demi-pointe and a nice arch) but I hated these shoes. It was so hard to point my feet on tendu so the shoes made my feet work harder! My ballet teacher told me that it is good for strengthening but it feels so uncomfortable.

Recently I ordered Merlet ballet shoes but I am hoping to find that right one soon! :( 

Did any of you find it hard to find the perfect ballet shoes? 

sheahuang

Mimi-wimi - Have you tried being fitted at a dance store? What bothered you about the bloch split soles? Your shoe needs will change as you dance more and your feet get stronger. for some your foot shape or size can change some when you start pointe. 

morninglorie

Hi Mimi-wimi! Welcome!

It may take some experimenting...maybe try a different brand since Bloch doesn't seem to work for you. Is it the shape of the shoe you don't like? Are they uncomfortable? Is it the lack of arch support?

Personally, I prefer plain 'ole Sansa canvas split soles because the toe area of the shoe seems to fit my foot better. I've tried one of the new Bloch models that are "stretch canvas" and hated how they felt, but it's definitely a personal preference thing. Are you ordering shoes online, or trying them from a shop? 

munchkin16

I am very fussy about how my shoes feel and the best I’ve found are stretch canvas shoes. In one of my classes almost everyone with completely different shaped feet had the So Danca SD16 shoes and they looked really good. These are my absolute favourites. 

An alternative is the Capezio Hanami, which are very stretchy and soft.

Both might be worth trying on, especially if you found some of your others made pointing your feet difficult, both of the shoes I mentioned are very light.

Mimi-wimi
On 09/10/2017 at 10:24 PM, sheahuang said:

Mimi-wimi - Have you tried being fitted at a dance store? What bothered you about the bloch split soles? Your shoe needs will change as you dance more and your feet get stronger. for some your foot shape or size can change some when you start pointe. 

Yes, I went to a bloch store in London and got fitted. However, it seems that over time it starts to feel uncomfortable. My teacher told me that my feet have become stronger and my turn-out is better now but my body just has not liked any shoes yet. I tried on merlet and they are super comfortable but I will just have to see how it goes. 😨

Mimi-wimi

Is it the shape of the shoe you don't like? Are they uncomfortable? Is it the lack of arch support?

It is just very uncomfortable. The shoes do not squish my toes but it feels really strange. 

Mimi-wimi
On 10/10/2017 at 12:45 PM, munchkin16 said:

I am very fussy about how my shoes feel and the best I’ve found are stretch canvas shoes. In one of my classes almost everyone with completely different shaped feet had the So Danca SD16 shoes and they looked really good. These are my absolute favourites. 

An alternative is the Capezio Hanami, which are very stretchy and soft.

Hi, thank you for letting me know. If these Merlet stella split sole shoes do not work, then I will definitely try out the ones that you have mentioned. Thanks. ☺ 

Redbookish

I was fitted at a wonderful ballet shop in Birmingham (UK) - and the expert owner of the shop tried me in Merlet stretch split soles. I've not worn them before - generally just get whatever the shop has in my size. I'm not fussy. The Merlet shoes are lovely, although a weird pink to start with. But now they're nice and battered!

Once you've tried a few styles, you can work out what feels comfortable. For me, as I say, I'm not fussy, and I tend to think if my foot feels uncomfortable (and my shoes are the right size) then I assume it's my technique that's the problem. I don't have great feet, and have to really work them. 

Do you wear tights or socks, or do you just put shoes on bare feet? Try out various ways - I tend to prefer bare feet straight into shoes, so I get as close to the floor as I can.

morninglorie

I would try a different brand! Maybe the shape of the Blochs isn't working for you--it didn't for me. I always felt like my Bloch flats didn't fit my toes right--I'd always have extra fabric above my smaller toes, even though the rest of the shoe was snug. And I personally don't like the super snug feeling of the stretch canvas shoes, but maybe that's because I'm old school ;D