Ballet Talk for Dancers
russkiyballet

Help! Bruised toenail emergency

russkiyballet

Hi everyone,

Sorry for such a dramatic title, but it really is an emergency. My feet are very tapered, and my big toenails have both fallen off/been removed due to severe bruising as a result of pointe work before. They have been on-and-off painful for a month or so, but today I after three and a half hours of pointe class the pain was so unbearable that I was nearly crying and my body wouldn't allow me to go on the box (typically, I have no issue with this). It's almost as if it was trying to protect the nail from further damage.

Anyways, onto the reason that this is an emergency -- I am competing this weekend, two variations and a contemporary. I have no idea how I am going to make it through my variations; it is so painful to dance on pointe. I have tried various toe pads and combinations, basically everything I had in my bag. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

vrsfanatic

I am so sorry to read you are having such pain. Unfortunately, you must see a qualified doctor immediately. Have you showed your feet to a parent and your teacher? You really do need an adult to monitor your situation. Bruised toe nails are not only painful, they can become a very serious problem if not dealt with correctly. Seek medicalĀ  help now.