Ballet Talk for Dancers
ViolaDancer

Vocabulary/Terminology

Redbookish
12 hours ago, Miss Persistent said:

The RAD dictionary translates it as "a placed step" if that helps.

Yes, that IS really helpful - it's the sense of it being a very deliberate moving of the weight onto that foot ready for something else - even just a balnce in retiré or soussu (argh sp?)

LaFilleSylphide

Now posé seems even more broad! Does that mean the word pique isn't very commonly used in RAD? Or perhaps just in the exercises which tend to follow tendu par terre and tendu jeté where there is the swift lifting/pricking off the ground. In any case, I think the original poster is seeing now that the world of ballet terminology can be overwhelming! haha!

Redbookish

Maybe it's because the full term is 'piqué posé" (I think)? 

Just as I always have to switch registers when I'm in class in the USA on my travels - there, a retiré passé is just 'Passé' which always feels a bit wrong - as I'd always understood that the action is retiré, and the passé means that you change the leg (from front to back or vice versa).

It's impossible to pin down the 'right' word for each step, and thank goodness it is - makes it all much more interesting!

Miss Persistent
On 2/8/2018 at 3:56 AM, LaFilleSylphide said:

Now posé seems even more broad! Does that mean the word pique isn't very commonly used in RAD? Or perhaps just in the exercises which tend to follow tendu par terre and tendu jeté where there is the swift lifting/pricking off the ground.

Yes posé is very broad in RAD!!  And you are correct, we don't use piqué a lot.  Mainly it would be as you describe above, or also as a Grand Battements piqué.  Both steps have an upward accent and are very sharp - I tell students they have a pin on their toe and must prick a balloon.

On 2/8/2018 at 5:13 AM, Redbookish said:

Maybe it's because the full term is 'piqué posé" (I think)?

I'm not sure I've heard that term in the last few years.... These days in RAD it would generally be a posé <insert next step here>. Posé temps levé, posé pirouette, posé en avant (or any direction) etc.  I agree about passé and retire passé too - I have always felt uncomfortable with just passé - but yes as we know there are many words for the one step!

Doubleturn

I think the problem stems from the way teachers often only use one word as a form of shorthand rather than the full name of certain steps. My old Russian teacher used to say that with posé you should think of placing a vase of flowers on a pedastal. For the term passé I also use it in battements tendus passing through 1st, and also in developpé passé.

Redbookish
48 minutes ago, Doubleturn said:

the way teachers often only use one word as a form of shorthand rather than the full name of certain steps.

Yes, this absolutely. And understandable. I don't really fuss about it - it's clear what one needs to do, & what he step is called is secondary. I'm just interested in language use. 

But I can imagine it would be confusing for a beginner dancer.

LaFilleSylphide

I SO agree with the retiré passé thing too! I just can't say passé, because in my head, passé means actually passing, for instance, from retiré passé front to back. I think I have been known to even say passé for things like passé a terre (somtimes for balançoire, again a sort of passing action in my head). I just can't bring myself to only call that position so popularly referred to as "passé" only passé! haha!