Ballet Talk for Dancers
jose

Bring tutu to the dance

jose

I have a 6-year-old son and lately he tells me that he wants to wear tu-tu as his female partners. her uniform for ballet is sneakers, tights and leotard. but now he wants you to advise him to do it.

vrsfanatic

It might be best to discuss this with his teacher.

jose

the teacher advised me not to put pink colors.

mln

In a few of his early classes, my son was allowed to wear a colorful sash around his waist as a substitute for the tutu.  Almost like a pirate.

mln

But wearing the tutu is fine, too.  Whatever makes him happy!

jose

today I took him to ballet classes and the director agreed to wear tutu he is happy

slhogan

Mln, that is a great idea about the sash!

vrsfanatic

I like the sash too. 😊

mln

Just wondering, do little girls really need to be in tutus?  Or are the tutus mostly for fun? 

BoyDanceMom111

At that young of an age, the tutus have to just be to keep the kids happy.  Our dance school won't allow them.  Girls wear black leos and pink tights and shoes, boys wear black tights (or jazz pants, til they are comfortable in tights) and white tees.  No exceptions.  A previous school let the little girls wear what they wanted and the outfits the girls came up with got more and more distracting during class.  

Clara 76

I've always felt strongly that dancers should earn their first tutu......meaning that comes after years of training.

mln

Is there an equivalent marker of success for the guys?  Perhaps there needs to be.

Clara 76

Yes. They earn their first Pas de Deux, meaning they get their white tights.

mln

For my ds, when he was dancing at a small studio, the rite of passage wasn't so much the white tights--he had worn them as Nutcracker prince--but rather, finally getting an embroidered prince's tunic altered to really fit him.  Gone were the yellowing poet's shirts and other ill-fitted hand-me-downs that the guys always had to wear!  He had a costume that actually looked almost as good as the snow queen's.

Although I agree with you, Clara, that the ballet milestones should be celebrated later, the fact is, the girls at a lot of studios get to celebrate smaller accomplishments, and there aren't always equivalent moments or celebrations for the guys.

Clara 76

True.