Ballet Talk for Dancers
MI Carly 2022

Returning to dance

MI Carly 2022

Hi. I am Carly and 14 years old. I danced since I was 5 until 12.5. I had to stop because my dad lost his job and we didn't have enough money.  My teacher offered free tuition because she said I had talent and worked hard.  I didn't take her offer because we still couldn't afford pointe shoes and other dance stuff. My dad has found a job near Peoria, IL starting in January. My mom said I could take ballet classes again.  I'm happy to be able to dance and that is helping me to be excited to move. Where do I ask the question to find out about the dance schools in  Peoria?  How do you go about deciding which school is right for me?  Thanks. 

Victoria Leigh

Welcome, Carly, and thank you for your introduction. :)  

It is great that you will be able to get back to ballet soon!  I will check to see if we have info on schools in Peoria. 

Victoria Leigh

Carly, I would start by looking at the Peoria Ballet website. :)  We don't have info on any other Peoria schools that I could find, but this one looks like a good pre-pro school. I do not have first hand info on this, but from looking at the website it appears to be a big school with a professional director and regular performances. 

ruralmom

Ms Leigh,

With respect, I will disagree with your advice about Peoria Ballet.  We have had bad experiences there.  While Mr. Otto is qualified, the organization is run by self-serving parents of the board.   Many of the teachers have no credentials other than a parent on the board.  The school we recommend is Cornerstone Academy for Performing Arts.  There is a small professional company affiliated with Cornerstone called Central Illinois Ballet https://www.ciballet.com/

Cornerstone facilities are currently inadequate for the number of students.  A new building is under construction with a January move in. 

PB has beautiful facilities with small classes due to the decreased enrollment with many of them leaving to go to Cornerstone.

Cornerstone accepts scholarships year round, while PB accepts them only in August.

Both schools offer a free sample class. 

ruralmom

Victoria Leigh

Actually, I’m not totally happy with the class schedules at either school. However, they should both be explored by the student moving to that area. 

(Ruralmom, I edited your post to remove possible non-first hand information.)

MI Carly 2022

Thanks for responding. I am disappointed that neither school has a professional schedule. At my old school we also had difficult parents as my mom called them. I'll check out both schools and maybe I can make a good schedule between both  I'll show my mom the recommended classes from the parents area.   Could you tell me what's wrong w the schedule?  I think it's that the Peoria Ballet doesn't have pointe class or partnering? What is missing from The Cornerstone Ballet"s classes?  Neither has variations which I used to like 

Victoria Leigh

Well, Cornerstone has so many very confusing divisions.  The only one with 5 or 6 classes per week appears to be the advanced professional division. It does have more pointe, though. I think the only way for you to know is to visit each school, take a class, see where they would place you and what the schedule would be. You also need to get a feel for the atmosphere of the school, the quality of the upper level dancers, and of course the teachers.