Ballet Talk for Dancers
balletmom13

home school time?

balletmom13

There what we do now. Probably could do in public  school our local HS is not good i would never send her there  I’m going to ask the private school 

balletmom13

She leaves middle school at 1 Pm then we drive to city 

MelissaGA

It's also possible the ballet school may not go to a day program if they find that it's not going to work for too many of their students.  To me, the high school opportunity sounds too good to give up. Coupled with the fact that you both really like the ballet program she is currently in. I'd say it's time to explore other options for ballet that work for the after school hours. Your proximity to NYC makes it so that there are many options. When it was time for dd to make a change, we explored numerous options around the country as well as in NYC (as that would allow her to stay at home). So many programs, large and small, with excellent teachers and great track records for employment in ballet. 

balletmom13

Thank you. There are good options in NYC but for my daughter his particular program seems to be exactly what she needs.  I appreciate your input 

Monet

I love that she has such drive!  Never underestimate how far that can take her!!  She sounds like a kid that will make things happen!!!  

Noodles

My daughter is also gifted academically. We have opted for an online education for various reasons but she is currently a daytime dancer and it has been wonderful. 

If money is a concern I would seek out online/alternative school options within your local school district. My DD's education is still free.

balletmom13

Thank you. Unfortunately our state doesn’t provide this to us. 

Missjonibu

Thank you for this conversation. We are facing a similar situation for our daughter, who wants to attend the prepofessional day program at her ballet school. However, she is a freshman at a fantastic high school, and we are hesitant for her to lose the opportunity to learn there. She, for now, she is remaining in the studio 's evening program. She still get to perform, and compete in YAGP. But, even though I worry that she may miss opportunities by not being in the day program, i realize she would also miss out on opportunities if she did not attend this high school. (Especially electives that could be useful to a professional dancer--art, theater tech, acting, etc.) It is not easy to maintain this balance, and we are taking everything a semester at a time. 

I wish you the the best of luck as you decide what is best for you daughter. I know how difficult this decision is! 

balletmom13

Sounds great for your daughter.  I think our decision is made as she loves her ballet school and though i knwo this HS would be awesome...it isn’t what she wants   I found what i think is a really good school option. Fingers crossed. Best of luck to your dancer at YAGP

cclw

May I ask those of you who have used online school programs what your experiences have been? My daughter (15, high school sophomore, late starting dancer) wants to try online school for next year. She's academically advanced and ambitious, but we have a long commute to her current school, and she wants to have more time for dance. She is realistic that having started as late as she did, dance is probably not going to be a career, so we can't sacrifice academics. We don't have the bandwidth to homeschool her. Are there online programs anyone has used and been happy with? Any that have been less than optimal? 

balletmom13

We are just starting to look into it. Laurel springs is very popular with dancers. Can’t speak from experience just yet.  It’s been a very hard decision for us 

Ballet_Mage

cclw:  My DD is 17 and a senior now.  Last year we began a Pre-Pro program with a long commute that necessitated online school.  She is also academically driven and ambitious.  We used a free public online school and took her standard rigorous AP schedule of classes.  Though not easy she was disciplined and felt she learned well from this type of environment.  While at the online school. she is a GHP finalist,  National Merit Letter of Commendation recipient, received her first 5's on AP exams and felt she improved academically in her core subjects.  Often she had to seek out her on answers to questions because there is no immediate teacher to turn to and her time for completing assignments necessitated a more immediate solution than waiting on contact with her teacher. She feels this has served her well.  As I await her college acceptances and audition results I believe for us this was the right solution.  She has improved as a dancer and has continued her academic success. It can be done and done successfully.

balletmom13

Question what does the DD stand for? And congratulations to  your daughter   Good luck with  college and auditions 

Noodles

DD stands for dancing daughter and DS dancing son.

My daughter is in an online school this year, and doing quite well. It is rigorous and incredibly time consuming...but it beats having a commute and sitting in class all day. Instead she gets to dance. We are lucky to have a public school online option.

balletmom13

Awesome thank you