Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancingninja

SI Audition Roll Call—2018

nynydancer

DS14 is done and has full scholarship to HB, has a verbal acceptances to Ellison and SFB and just waiting to see if any scholarships.   So it went very well!  Now comes the really hard part- what to do?  I admire you guys who are auditioning for many programs.

I think we are done auditioning at this point, but I may want to send him to the Harid audition.  We are really looking at these schools for year round potential at this point.

Sometimes I just don't want to think about any of this  :) but I know we have to.

dancingninja

Congratulations to your DS, nynydancer! I agree it can be a blessing and a curse to have so many choices. I'm sure you'll both figure out the best fit for your DS. 👍

We're still at the beginning our audition season with 3 auditions this weekend, 4 next weekend and 1-2 more after that. Then, it's the waiting for results is the worst part for me. 

Oreo

NyNY dancer, congratulations to your son. Can I ask what city he auditioned at? I had heard from someone who's child is in Houston's company that they only gave out scholarships to much older boys they were considering for the company. Apparently, that isn't true, or maybe things have changed over the years.  I have a son who is very discouraged, because he gets accepted everywhere, but never with a scholarship. I am trying to decide when to pull the plug and force him to focus on something else. W e just don't have the money.

5uptown

so far my 13yo son has gotten acceptance and a full tuition scholarship to one prestigious/selective program, and acceptance with full tuition and room and board scholarship to one that sounds good but is certainly less selective. He is waiting to hear from one more (which is very small). He will go to at least one more audition. Because money really is tight for our family, and he is still so young, I am leaning towards him going where he got a bigger scholarship, but I hope that isn't going to be disappointing for him (he is aware of the financial realities, so its not like he won't understand). 

dancingninja

Finally heard back from ABT from DS's Jan. 6 audition and learned he was accepted for their Texas location! He confessed he had a rocky audition and wasn't confident that he'd get in at all, so this was very good news. 👍

nynydancer

Hi Oreo, he auditioned in SF.  

I totally feel what you are saying because last year when a dad (to dancing daughters) asked my DS if he got a scholarship to HB, and DS said No, the dad was like "aww better luck next time".  DS was thrilled to even get in!  Scholarships are not a slam dunk for boys, and I have no clue why we got them this year.   

Good luck and don't give up.  Your boy is getting accepted and that's really great.

nynydancer

Congrats everyone - 5Uptown and DancingNinja, and good luck to all.  I love to see these good news coming in for everyone!

Oreo

Thanks NYNY dancer. The competition between boys is very strong. I understand what you're saying.

Midammom

Just got results for my DS, he didn't get into PNB for a second year. I have to admit I'm disappointed. He has several other admissions and scholarship offers, however, I think I hold the big three letter schools as a bench mark of success. Maybe next year.

dancingninja

I'm so sorry to hear about DS's results, Midammom. Rejection of any kind is hard... on our DSs AND us.

Don't forget though, every program is different and it's almost impossible to know for sure what they're looking for or catches their eye, even among the big three letter (B3L) schools. Where one B3L might say yes, another B3L might say no - that doesn't mean your DS is any less successful as a dancer. 😉

Midammom

Thanks for the kind words dancingninja. This certainly is an emotional journey.

Tagalong

13yr old DS has completed 2 auditions so far. Results received with a small scholarship for 1. We should get the results from Boston on Friday. Every year I plan on a bunch (6-10) auditions and we only end up doing 3-4. This is because after researching either he is too young for housing (he is finally old enough for all programs) or they have 10 boys in the program. Does anyone else have this problem?

*I should note I have to drive to Houston or ATL for auditions as only a few come to Louisiana.

mln

Tagalong,  when my kid was 13, we would usually stop auditioning as soon as he had an attractive offer.  We had to drive 3-4 hours for every audition.  We would try to do more than one audition per trip.  This system worked pretty well, but we had the advantage of living the same distance from four audition hubs.

dancingninja

Tagalong, l hear what you're saying! Last year, I did a ton of research but DS only wanted to do a handful of auditions.

This year, I offered to let him do as many auditions as he wanted and I was surprised when he took me up on it. Now, we're halfway through and he's done 5 out of the 10 auditions planned. We're fortunate because we live between two different audition cities, like mln, so it's no more than a 1-1.5 hour drive at most to either of them and we are often able to stack the auditions too.

pmom

Hi deciding for my DS 13.  He was offered full scholarships  to abt NYC and Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre. Partial for Nutmeg and Miami City Ballet.  Need more info about Miami