Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancingninja

SI Audition Roll Call—2018

nynydancer

DS14 is done and has full scholarship to HB, has a verbal acceptances to Ellison and SFB and just waiting to see if any scholarships.   So it went very well!  Now comes the really hard part- what to do?  I admire you guys who are auditioning for many programs.

I think we are done auditioning at this point, but I may want to send him to the Harid audition.  We are really looking at these schools for year round potential at this point.

Sometimes I just don't want to think about any of this  :) but I know we have to.

dancingninja

Congratulations to your DS, nynydancer! I agree it can be a blessing and a curse to have so many choices. I'm sure you'll both figure out the best fit for your DS. 👍

We're still at the beginning our audition season with 3 auditions this weekend, 4 next weekend and 1-2 more after that. Then, it's the waiting for results is the worst part for me. 

Oreo

NyNY dancer, congratulations to your son. Can I ask what city he auditioned at? I had heard from someone who's child is in Houston's company that they only gave out scholarships to much older boys they were considering for the company. Apparently, that isn't true, or maybe things have changed over the years.  I have a son who is very discouraged, because he gets accepted everywhere, but never with a scholarship. I am trying to decide when to pull the plug and force him to focus on something else. W e just don't have the money.

5uptown

so far my 13yo son has gotten acceptance and a full tuition scholarship to one prestigious/selective program, and acceptance with full tuition and room and board scholarship to one that sounds good but is certainly less selective. He is waiting to hear from one more (which is very small). He will go to at least one more audition. Because money really is tight for our family, and he is still so young, I am leaning towards him going where he got a bigger scholarship, but I hope that isn't going to be disappointing for him (he is aware of the financial realities, so its not like he won't understand). 

dancingninja

Finally heard back from ABT from DS's Jan. 6 audition and learned he was accepted for their Texas location! He confessed he had a rocky audition and wasn't confident that he'd get in at all, so this was very good news. 👍

nynydancer

Hi Oreo, he auditioned in SF.  

I totally feel what you are saying because last year when a dad (to dancing daughters) asked my DS if he got a scholarship to HB, and DS said No, the dad was like "aww better luck next time".  DS was thrilled to even get in!  Scholarships are not a slam dunk for boys, and I have no clue why we got them this year.   

Good luck and don't give up.  Your boy is getting accepted and that's really great.

nynydancer

Congrats everyone - 5Uptown and DancingNinja, and good luck to all.  I love to see these good news coming in for everyone!

Oreo

Thanks NYNY dancer. The competition between boys is very strong. I understand what you're saying.