Ballet Talk for Dancers

hkballet

Sweet! I plan on going when I can:) So you are still a student at OU then?

erinaballerina

Sort of - I'm graduating in 3 years so summer term this year is my last semester.

balleterryday

Hello! I am a senior in high school and considering University of Oklahoma to start my dance career. Does anyone know how many people audition for the ballet program and how many people get in?

napnap

I recommend you start your ballet career by auditioning for different companies to see if it is a realistic career for you.

dancemaven

There are different roads to Rome-- and different things folks want to learn and experience along their own chosen road. :). The College/university route is one such road with its own unique experiences and learning opportunities. Each person will decide for themselves what road may best suit their personal needs, wants, and circumstances.

Remember, it really IS the journey that provides the most reward. The contract (that may or may not come) is simply an added bonus. It, alone, is not the be all end all, as so many members who have "been there, done that" have attested.

Lady Elle

According ot Dance Magazine College Guide 2016/17, there are 80 dance students. This is for both the modern and the ballet program. Not sure of the ration between the two. I would suggest getting this magazine as a resource as there is a lot of good info there - with audition dates and requirements. And get on it quickly as you'll need to get going on auditions or putting together videos for sending out. Good luck!

glissade_jete

During my time at OU, 80 between the two dance programs was also true, with about half of those in the ballet program and half in the modern. So that would be 40ish ballet dancers, a percentage of which are men, so a nice, smaller program.

Acceptance rate is low simply because the program itself isn't large, on top of being a selective program in the first place. I'm not sure what the stats are on how much the school "over-accepts" in order to gain the desired incoming class size. I'm sure a call to the program could help with that information.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about how many students audition. If you are the right fit for a program, you'll be the right fit whether you're auditioning among 50 students or a sea of 300.

Good luck!

ddegaray

They are taking 10 new ballet students this year. That's what they said in the Q&A at the audition a few weeks ago. They have a total of 4 auditions. There were 35ish in my daughters audition.

suesuedressage

Out of those approximate 10, they will need a few boys. So maybe they need only 7-8 freshman girls in the ballet program.

glissade_jete

For anyone interested, the "OU Dance" facebook page livestreamed company warm-up class recently, and the stream is still up. Gives a good look at the facility, as well as the range of all dancers, freshman to senior. I sure miss that studio!

DanceDad2017

I am super impressed with the quality of questions, responses and detail provided on this forum. I am a brand new member, I am a Dance Dad, and my daughter is actually accepted into the OU Modern Dance program for Fall 2017 (yeah!). I attended the October audition with her, and was super impressed with the school overall, as well as the Dance program and facilities. We are out of state, and one of my concerns (aside from travel) is how she would manage to audition for Summer intensives and other opportunities while in school at OU? How do current dancers manage this? Also, I noticed on the OU Dance website that you are currently seeking a new Dance Director. Is this the result of a transition, someone leaving, and who are they replacing? Just curious about the reason for the transition.

glissade_jete

Hi DanceDad,

OU alumna here. The previous School of Dance Director, Mary Margaret Holt, was recently(ish) promoted to the position of Dean of the College of Fine Arts. My best understanding is that faculty member Clara Cravey was more or less acting as the interim director, but I would imagine they'd like someone to officially fill that position. (I'm surprised they aren't promoting from within, but I suppose that's a different topic!)

Dancers can travel to OKC on weekends for local auditions, and Dallas or Tulsa are very reasonable distances away as an alternatives. Many dancers drove to those cities for summer intensive, workshop, or company auditions. The School of Dance wants their dancers to be seen and have those experiences, barring rehearsal conflicts.

Video auditions are very feasible as well. The School of Dance has a media lab where you can request your video footage (or film your own in the studio) and compile and edit DVDs. I'm not sure who the media person there is now, but the gentleman who ran that during my time at OU helped all the dancers out with editing and formatting.

DanceDad2017

Thank you so much for the quick reply! Out of curiosity, where did you end up post-graduation? I'm curious also if you know where Modern dancers have been placed of late?

glissade_jete

I landed a corps contract with a small, regional ballet company after I graduated, and simultaneously was offered another contract for a summer season contemporary ballet company.

I'm hoping erinaballerina can chime in to let you know about recent modern dance grads. I don't have any contacts in that area. While I was there, grads became employed by Ballet Hispanico, Philadanco, Hubbard Street scholarship program, Thodos Dance Chicago, Big Muddy Dance Company, etc. One actually started her own modern company in San Francisco that's doing quite well. Many ballet grads also went the modern/contemporary route for employment instead of going with ballet, which is a testament to the quality of modern training at OU.

Others became Pilates instuctors and seem to be doing well with that.

balletconvert

Hi. My daughter (freshman ballet performance) is doing her summer auditions over Christmas break--last weekend and this weekend--before returning to OU. Without a car, she didn't want to travel to local cities although it would be possible. Also, she might do the OU summer program; ballet has one but I don't know about modern. Kudos to your daughter. She will love the program!