Ballet Talk for Dancers
Acsmom

Royal Ballet Spring

Acsmom

My dd will be attending the 1 week program at white lodge this April.  Anyone else attending? Any info from attendees to the royal ballet si?

dancemom02

If you are driving, don't follow Google Maps' directions.  It took us to a back gate where WL had someone stationed to tell us where to go - a series of confusing and complicated directions to try to remember - so we just got lost again.  I found it best to google Sheen Gate and work my way from there (the tiny side road to enter WL is just up (down?) the road from the Sheen Gate entrance to Richmond Park.

iPhone Wifi and cell reception was terrible for us (we had purchased an 0SIM card), but her roommate didn't seem to have an issue.  

DD LOVED LOVED LOVED her two weeks at White Lodge.  Staff was lovely, dancing was strong, grounds and park are gorgeous.  She would return in a heartbeat, but has aged out.

Be prepared to drag suitcases up and down stairs and across gravel pathways.

Acsmom

Thanks so much for this helpful information! We will likely take some sort of public transportation to white lodge  from our hotel near Buckingham Palace.  So great for us to hear how much your dd loved the program!!

Fonty

I think your DD will love it! The Spring Intensive is totally new this year, but I would imagine it to be very similar to the summer programmes. The main building is very old, but stunning with lovely studios. The accommodation is much more modern, but yes, the wifi is pretty useless there. If you are staying near Buckingham Palace, you could be near to South Kensington or St James tube (underground lines). They are both on the District line, which is the line to Richmond. From there, quite honestly, I would take a taxi, as buses etc do not go through the park. It's only about 10 minutes or so in a cab - do not attempt to walk!. Generally the whole of South West London is a very congested area, but you'll be fine on public transport.

She will make lots on international friends and the food is pretty decent. There may be the occasional activity for the evenings too.