Ballet Talk for Dancers
threegirlpileup

National Choreography Intensive

threegirlpileup

Does anyone have any knowlege/experience of RDA's National Choreography Intensive?  It seems like potentially a perfect fit for my young choreographer, but I can't find much information beyond the website.  Would love some more personal experiences or feedback.

(We are not looking for this summer, just looking ahead to next summer and beyond.)

Temps de cuisse

threegirlpileup,

I have had many students attend and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Note that most students go as 'dancers'; there are only a few spots for dancer/choreographers and then the process to attend as a choreographer is quite competitive.

threegirlpileup

Temps de cuisse, thanks for your reply.

I don't really have any specific questions, just a more general,  "Is this intensive what it looks like on its website?" since I didn't have anything else to go on.  It's good to hear from someone who has had students attend!

She is definitely interested in attending as a choreographer (although attending as a dancer looks pretty cool, too).  Do you have a sense of the age/experience level of the emerging choreographers?  The website says 16 and up--she is 16 now but didn't feel like she really had an adequate body of work to apply with yet.  She was thinking more towards applying in a few years during one of her college summers.

Temps de cuisse

Emerging choreographers' ages vary widely.  In my experience many are young (late teens/20's) but there is not an upper age limit. Five of the 10 chosen come from RDA member companies; the other five are chosen thru the video submission process. It is a great program for anyone interested in immersing themselves in the choreographic process. RDA is looking to expand the program in the next few years so hopefully more dancers that want to explore choreography can participate.

threegirlpileup

Great, thanks!  I really appreciate the information.