Ballet Talk for Dancers
cupcake3

Feeling heartbroken for dd

cupcake3

Poor dd has been running fever and feeling absolutely terrible (think it may be flu), and of all times, this is the worst weekend. Today was her audition for next year’s half day dance program, and tomorrow she is supposed to perform/compete a solo that she’s been working on for months. We aren’t a competition studio- this was a very special opportunity in which she auditioned this past fall for a place in tomorrow’s competition.  Of course I’ve told her that it’s just 1 day, and there will be so many more opportunities in her future... but of course it still stinks. She is so pitifully sick and just crushed.  I know these things happen but it’s breaking my heart to see her so devastated. 

fuddyduddy

That really stinks. 

Have you told the school that she’s sick? The flu is very nasty this year, and I’d be surprised if she’s the only one too sick to perform tomorrow. 

LisaRG

So sorry to hear about your daughters illness and her competition.  The only thing positive I can tell you is that my daughter got a fever and chills during Nutcracker season and I was positive she would miss a show ( 1 out of 24).  But her fever broke in the middle of the night - so you never know.

nynydancer

That is AWFUL!!!  My little DD competed this weekend after being sick all week and we were almost in the same boat.  Yikes!  This winter is the worst with regards to illnesses.

cupcake3

Well.... dd totally missed both her audition and her performance.  There was just no way. Poor dear was crushed, but she seems to have mentally moved on now. She’s still not physically well but at least she’s not overwhelmingly sad anymore.  Now to figure out what we can do to somehow remedy the missed audition for next year....  her teachers have indicated they will work something out so I have faith it will end up ok. 

MoDance

cupcake 3:  What a bummer!  I'm sorry to hear she missed both things--but thank goodness the teachers will work with you.  Hopefully, everything will be ok!

BalletValet

Cupcake3, I feel your pain.  My DD was only able to make one SI audition before falling sick and is only now returning to class after a very long break.  She had to miss all the other auditions for summer programs she was interested in.  So now we’re trying to figure out if any of the SI auditions left would even be programs she would be interested in attending.  We may just end up taking the summer program at her home studio this year, and next year, just remember to wash hands thoroughly after every ballet class or audition.  The one audition she attended was packed (over 80+ in one studio) and we suspect she caught the illness there.  

cupcake3

Aww, BalletVallet - I hope your dd is feeling much better now.  Good luck with summer!

dave9988

Cupcake3,

I hope that by now she's fully on the mend, both physically and mentally, and that it all works out for next year.  That's a tough situation.

Phx115

Cupcake3, 

I just saw this. I'm so sorry she was ill. 

Perhaps the adage, "When one door closes, another one opens," will apply for her! 

All the best!

cupcake3

Thx Phx115 - This is actually my first time checking this board in a few weeks.  An awful lot has happened since this initial post, and things have definitely taken a bad turn for dd. She was out of dance for 10 days back in the winter with the flu and missed her performance and auditions, and then she went back to dance for about 2 weeks and discovered she has a stress fracture in her foot (sesamoid bone).  She has been in a walking boot for several weeks now, and will probably be in the boot for about 4 more weeks. Then she will  VERY gradually begin putting pressure on the foot again, working her way up to releve and jumping.  Honestly, we are just holding out hope that she is back up and running for summer intensives.  DD also has mild scoliosis - and this boot has also created imbalances in her hips.  She is working so, so hard doing what she can to stay as strong, balanced, and flexible as possible while not being able to be on her foot.  This means that we are constantly running around to physio appointments, scoliosis therapy appointments, sports med dr. appointments, private pilates lessons, and it certainly takes a toll on our whole family.  DD has had a really great attitude and is very forward focused... in that she knows HAS to take it slow so that the foot can heal properly and not set her back further.  She has been faithfully doing all her physio exercises and going to all her ballet classes.  During class, she does floor barre on her back and then sits on a bouncy ball and does arms when the class is doing centre work.  She is doing all she can, and I am supporting her the best I can.... but it sure has been a rough go the past couple of months.  I really hope that she can come back from this as she wants to continue high level ballet training so very badly.  Right now, our focus is obviously on healing and maintaining strength and alignment, so I'm trying not to look too far ahead and imagine what will or won't happen and just stay positive and try not to be discouraged.  DD has amazed me with her resilience at the young age of 12.  Sorry for the long post..... it's been a long time coming:(

ballet1310

cupcake3 - I'm so sorry to hear all of this .... injuries can be daunting but it sounds like you guys are doing the right things.  Your dd is young so keep that attitude of taking it really slow so that she can heal ... I know it can feel like "she's losing time" or "everyone else is continuing to improve" etc but trust those of us that have been in this for a long time, take the proper time to heal and she will be just fine at that age - let her know there have been many, many instances of injuries keeping girls out for awhile but with the right pt and taking it slow, she will be back in it stronger than she was and even more aware of her body ... 

cupcake3

Thank you for your encouraging words, ballet1310. I have been reading the boards trying to read of some positive experiences about coming bank from injuries. Obviously every situation is unique, but it’s certainly helpful to know kids bounce back from these sorts of things!

ballet1310

Hang in there !