Ballet Talk for Dancers
pirouettegirl123

Artistry

pirouettegirl123

Hello! I just turned 16 and I dance 5-6 days a week. When I dance (just in class) I don't use my artistry as much as I could. Either that or I do use it and it's a little much. How do I find an in between that's not expressionless or too flowery? And how much smiling should be involved because I don't want to have a blank face but I don't want a glued on smile either haha.

vrsfanatic

It would be lovely to have students with pleasant smiles in class. Nothing hysterical,  just a pleasant look with inviting eyes. You actually have to feel it for it to be believed. Having live piano accompaniment with a trained musician for ballet, helps a lot. Short of that, you need to make it a happen for yourself.

A greater understanding of the usage of the eyes and head, on coordination with arm movements is imperative as well.

Have you asked your teacher for help? Your teacher knows you well. Perhaps there may be some ways your teacher can incorporate artistry into the class.

pirouettegirl123

Thanks!!

Dreamingofdance

For me, I video myself dancing with different expressions and then review it. I see if I look too forced, bored, or just have a weird smile :)  In class I don't worry so much, but I know that it is very important to look pleasant in auditions, so I'm also working on my expressions 

pirouettegirl123

Thank you!