Ballet Talk for Dancers
Elf

Underwear?

Elf

Hello there! I've just started taking ballet classes. I love it although I must admit it's more difficult than I thought. Which makes me have even more respect to advanced dancers and be determined to get better... Anyway, I have a kind of awkward question that I've been too shy to ask my teacher: Are we supposed to wear underwear under the leotards? I thought that being in an adult class we'd be wearing leggings and t-shirts but most girls wear leotards and tights, some little skirts too. I tried wearing this at home but my underwear shows, if not from the beginning, after some moves. But I wouldn't want my genitals to show either, so I don't know what to do.

Hummingbird

You can buy underwear specifically made for dance. Jockey for women has quite a few styles and options.  I wear their thinnest, simplest bikini style under my tights — the so-called flesh color :-) .

Redbookish

It’s  pretty normal to wear tights and then a leotard over. Or the current fashion- leotard on first and then tights over the top. Ballet wear is made to be worn without the normal street underwear  generally. If your leotard fits properly, isn’t too small, and has a fairly low cut leg and is a leotard designed for ballet, then nothing untoward should  show. If it does you’ve got something far too small or not designed for dance!

In 30 years of taking adult ballet classes I don’t think I’ve been “flashed” once 😊 - although sometimes men take time to learn what they need to wear under their tights. 

But you can buy flesh/ nude coloured pants and bras from a dance wear shop, or a flesh coloured under-leotard if you’re concerned. High cut pants shouldn’t show under a leotard. 

FancyFeet

I know some dancers just do leo and tights, but I've never been comfortable with that.  I usually wear underwear under my tights - usually flesh or matching my leo.  My favourite are the seamless 'no show' - gives me enough coverage that I feel secure, but doesn't have a waistband bulge.  I also wear a bra under my leo for support.  I try to find leos that can cover a standard bra, but have also been known to wear a strappy sports bra in the same colour as my top layer.

I guess my position is that appearance matters, but it matters more that I'm comfortable enough to be unaware of my clothing in class.

LaFilleSylphide

Up to you, if you choose to, just make sure it's not hanging out. Besides dance underwear, you can get seamless type accessories at any store. I tend to get the mesh or seamless v-strings at Victorias' Secret because they have the "buy 5 for... whatever price" deal. Works fine. 

jgs3820

In “proper” ballet attire, one doesn’t wear underwear, but as an adult, I don’t feel comfortable going without. I wear nude colored undies and also wear a dance skirt for extra coverage. Sometimes if I’m out of clean tights, I wear exercise leggings over my leotard. I also have to wear a bra, but it can be a challenge to find leos that give enough coverage.

Edited by jgs3820
Added word

kr12

I've never worn underwear with my tights and leotard.  You just get used to it and never had an issue wiith anything showing with a misplaced leotard!