Ballet Talk for Dancers
Grapesoda

Southern California Ballet

Grapesoda

Hi there. Could someone educate me on ballet culture? My six year old daughter currently attends Southern California Ballet (Cecchetti Method), and is showing increased interest and aptitude for ballet. In ballet, does one have to get the "right training" at the "right school" from a young age? I don't want to spend years developing a talent incorrectly or innefitiently. Does that make sense? Does anyone know this ballet school? It was formerly Black Mountain Ballet. Thanks for any information/opinions. 

DanceMumNYC

Hi! Welcome to BT4D. While I don’t know this school, I would like to suggest that you check out the forum for “Parents of Dancers 13 and Under.” There are numerous threads in there about finding the right school, and the appropriate training level for a dancer based on his or her age. Your child is very young and “real” ballet classes usually don’t start until age 8-9. As long as she is in a pre-professional school, she should be fine. One thing that I do is look at the older/teen dancers’ technique and consider where the “graduates” go. This allows us to see if the school is producing company-ready dancers, or even dancers who can get into top dance programs at conservatories and colleges. There are also many threads on here about individual schools. Try looking into the pre-prof/residency forum, or type in the school’s former and current names to see if it has ever been discussed on here. Lastly, you will also be able to find other pre-prof schools in California if you do decide the current one isn’t the right fit. 

DanceDaddy

I would also suggest looking at the post about what is a "Dolly Dinkle". From the sounds of things, this is NOT!

The Cecchetti Method is well known and respected. Obviously, I don't know the school and teachers.

Welcome to the journey.

Grapesoda

Thanks for the responses. I've been looking through the "13 and under forum" and have found it informative.  I'll keep learning:)

Lady Elle

Grape Soda - I don't know if you have the ability to pm me, but I am in San Diego and am very familiar with So Cal Ballet and with cecchetti so.  If you do read this, I am a fan of cecchetti syllubus (sp?) and starting at a young age, I feel, is a good thing.  Just don't get en pointe too early.  So Cal Ballet (Black Mtn) seems to be a great school.  It's been under the radar but has really nice training.  I know that some girls were invited to represent the US in the international cecchetti competition several years ago (my niece from Albuquerque was also there and was with the group from US).  

Lady Elle

Shoot!  If you need to delete, please do so.