Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dreamingofdance

Foot stretches

Dreamingofdance

Hello! I've been working on my feet for around a couple months now, just to make them look better and be more flexible. I have a medium/ high arch, but I've been told that my ankles are tight and that's what is affecting my pointe. I've tried rolling over my pointe and stretching my feet out with my hands, and pressing into a forced arch on releve,  but I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion that worked for them. Thank you!

Dreamingofdance

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'll try that for the next few classes, and let you know how it helps! 

Victoria Leigh

Dreamingofdance, I had to remove the response by t.s..r because, on the Young Dancer forum, the rules state that a Teacher Moderator must respond to the question prior to students responding.

I would suggest working with your teacher for help with specific exercises to help your ankle flexibility. The teacher should be able to see where the problem is in terms of the articulation of your feet. 

(t.s..r, most of the information was okay, but rules are rules. You may repost, but I have to question how one fully points the foot, with energy through the leg and ankle, and not engage the achilles tendon?  I do not think that is possible. When you flex and point your foot from the ankle, the tendon engages. If it doesn't, the foot is dangling, and you can only curl your toes.)

BobbyPins

I use a ball a little smaller than a tennis ball to roll out the muscles and cramps in my feet before class.  Theraband exercises are great too as they help to strengthen the intrinsic muscles in your feet.  Reps of pointing and flexing with Theraband resistance, winging, and sickling your feet will strengthen them and improve their overall appearance.  Hope this helps!

Dreamingofdance

Thank you for your response! I'll definitely try it :)