Ballet Talk for Dancers
BalletBella

Partnering Class

BalletBella

What age do most girls begin partnering classes? DD’s studio does not offer partnering classes and I am concerned that she doesn’t have access to it.  She had some classes at SI last summer.   Would love to hear your thoughts and advice! Thank you! 

MEWDancer

At my daughter’s pre-pro school affiliated with a company, it is at the first pre-pro level where the dancers range in age from 13-15

dave9988

MEWDancer, that seems about where our school *tries* to introduce it.  However, there are very few boys in the school, so it's difficult to do with any regularity.  The girls can partner each other in modern classes, but obviously no so much in ballet.  They've occasionally brought in one or more of the male dancers from the affiliated company to help out.  When we wanted to provide more for our then 14 year old, we hired one of the company members to provide private lessons.

mcjagger

At my DD's pre-pro school they start at 14 with supported adage. Prior to that, the kids dance as partners in Character class but no supporting or lifting.

5uptown

my son started when he was a few months shy of his 13th birthday. I am not sure how old the girls are in the partnering class, but I think they are around 13-15. 

DancingMomma

At our studio only the "advanced" (mostly 14+) have partnering year round, and then it's only once a week at most.  In the summer months the Intermediate 2 and 3 level dancers (mostly 12 & 13) take classes along with the advanced dancers and thus get to experience some partnering.  

BalletBella

Thank you everyone for your feedback! 

Slemon

mine started at 12

Mom de deux

Last year at 12, DD took a few extra classes in beginning partnering. We do not have enough boys at our school for this to be a regular thing, but there was some limited partnering with guest artists in the spring production, so they had just enough for that.

Generally partnering is not something they get much of until they are cast in a principal role, usually ages 16 and up, and even then, only the girls who get leads get that instruction. With some new leadership at the school, I am hoping that some basic partnering instruction becomes more common.

Thyme

DS started basic partnering skills with the girls in his studio when he was 10. Simple things like promenade but also learning to support them in one position en pointe. Just standing still. The girls were all about 12 or so.

Leigh28

Our studio allows partnering by invitation only for their upper level dancers.  Most recreational dancers will be 14+. The Pre Pro training group does Pas twice a week, my daughter began this year in August when she had just turned 12.  The boys love partnering with her because she's light as a feather! lol